Freedom Campaigner Turns Away From Media Attention
By Dave Reynolds, Inclusion Daily Express
May 3, 2006
NASHUA, NEW HAMPSHIRE--Last week, he waged a one-man media blitz to get out of a nursing home.
On Monday of this week, however, retired machinist A. Richard Tuniewicz apparently had a change of heart and walked away from reporters and their cameras.
Tuniewicz, 68, called the Nashua Telegraph and two television stations saying he did not agree with his adult children's decision to make him stay at the Nichols House Nursing Home in Fairhaven, Massachusetts.
"I've been an independent person all my life. I'm not compatible with nursing homes," he told the newspaper.
Tuniewicz' son and daughter, who have been his legal guardians for the last three years, have said that he cannot take care of himself and must remain in the nursing home for his own good.
Reporters showed up Monday at the courtroom where Tuniewicz was expected to challenge their guardianship. Instead, when he saw the gathering of reporters, he asked for a private meeting behind closed doors.
He emerged from the meeting after about an hour, deciding to stay at the nursing home -- for now anyway. He reportedly rejected an offer from his son, Mark, to live in an apartment under certain conditions, including that he accept outside help for his diabetes, personal hygiene, and house cleaning.
"He's fighting for control," remarked his sister, Paula Knutson, 61, who sat in the courtroom waiting for the hearing.
"Let Me Out: Man gets hearing on bid to leave nursing" (Associated Press via Seacoast Online)
"Man drops case for control" (Nashua Telegraph)