Suit Attempts To Toss Out Touch-Screen Voting Systems
By Dave Reynolds, Inclusion Daily Express
October 19, 2004
TRENTON, NEW JERSEY--A coalition of citizens opposed to electronic touch-screen voting systems filed suit Tuesday asking the state to ban the use of nearly 8,000 such machines in New Jersey before the upcoming general election.
The suit was filed in State Superior Court in Trenton, just two weeks before New Jersey voters offer their 15 electoral votes to one of the presidential candidates.
According to the New York Times, the group wants to prohibit the touch-screen systems because they do not provide a printed ballot to verify that votes are recorded properly, and because computer hackers have been known to tamper with results in other states.
The machines are set to be used by more than three million registered voters in 15 of the state's 21 counties.
New Jersey Attorney General, Peter C. Harvey, whose office oversees elections, said there have been no problems with touch-screen systems in past elections in his state. Regarding the possibility of introducing new rules and technologies so close to the election, Harvey said, "You're just asking for trouble."
Electronic touch-screen voting systems are favored by disability groups because they allow blind voters, those who have difficulty reading, and those with disabilities affecting their mobility, to cast a private, secret ballot.
Efforts to prohibit the use of touch-screen systems in other states have failed, so far, the Times noted.
"New Jersey Lawsuit Challenges Electronic Voting" (New York Times)