Skip to Full Menu

Providing information, education, and training to build knowledge, develop skills, and change attitudes that will lead to increased independence, productivity, self determination, integration and inclusion (IPSII) for people with developmental disabilities and their families.

Witness Says Digging Up Boy's Body Will Give Answers To His Death
By Dave Reynolds, Inclusion Daily Express
August 23, 2004

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND--Whether the true cause of Clement "Clem" Matthews' 1968 death will be known may depend on the boy's mother.

Stephen Lindsay, 51, the man who claims that the 11-year-old was killed by a nurse at Kingseat Hospital, met recently with Clement's mother, Rebecca Matthews. The meeting was arranged by the New Zealand Herald, which has been closely following the case.

Matthews had been admitted to the institution because of "mental subnormality associated with disturbed behaviour of an aggressive nature". He died on April 28, 1968. The official coroner's report stated that the boy died of pneumonia, even though it noted that his health before he died "had caused no undue concern."

Lindsay, who was 14 years of age when his friend died, claims that a nurse assaulted the boy the day before he died, for stealing a piece of bread from the dining room. According to Lindsay, the nurse grabbed Matthews by the neck, twisted him to the floor, then kicked him solidly in the back causing it to snap "like a branch breaking".

In June of this year, police responded to Lindsay's allegations by reopening their investigation into Matthews' death. Lindsay claims that the only way to be certain of the true cause of death is to exhume the boy's body and examine the ribs and spine for fractures.

One forensic pathologist said there is a small chance that doing so would reveal new clues in the case.

Mrs. Matthews said she is hesitant about allowing her son's remains to be dug up.

"You can't go disturbing the dead," she said.

The investigation was reopened at a time when hundreds of complains have been filed by people who were patients of New Zealand's psychiatric institutions in the 1960s and 1970s. The complainants, most of whom were between 8 and 16 years of age at the time, allege that they were physically and sexually abused by staff members and other residents. Some claim they were over-medicated, unwillingly subjected to experiments in electro-shock treatment, and placed in isolation for long periods of time -- sometimes for months.

Dozens of legal claims have been filed in the High Court, each asking for as much as $500,000 in compensation and up to $50,000 in exemplary damages.

Most of the facilities either are closed or no longer operate as mental institutions.

"Former Kingseat patient meets tragic boy's family" (New Zealand Herald)
"Culture Of Abuse At Former New Zealand Institutions" (Inclusion Daily Express Archives)


©2016 The Minnesota Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities
 370 Centennial Office Building  658 Cedar Street   St. Paul, Minnesota 55155 
Phone: 651.296.4018   Toll-free number: 877.348.0505   MN Relay Service: 800.627.3529 OR 711   Fax: 651.297.7200 
Email:   View Privacy Policy   An Equal Opportunity Employer 

The GCDD is funded under the provisions of P.L. 106-402. The federal law also provides funding to the Minnesota Disability Law Center,the state Protection and Advocacy System, and to the Institute on Community Integration, the state University Center for Excellence. The Minnesota network of programs works to increase the IPSII of people with developmental disabilities and families into community life.