Prosecutor Won't Press School Abuse Charges
By Dave Reynolds, Inclusion Daily Express
November 19, 2003
HASLETT, MICHIGAN--Ingham County Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III said Tuesday that his office won't press criminal charges against Haslett Middle School officials who have been accused of abusing three students with developmental disabilities.
Dunnings said there was no evidence to "substantiate any intent to harm any of the children".
"Sometimes autistic children act out and need restraint," Dunnings explained.
According to the Lansing State Journal, the families plan to continue with their civil lawsuit seeking $3 million in damages. The suit, filed in September, accused school teachers and administrators of allowing the children to be abused earlier this year.
Frank Fleischmann, an attorney representing the families, said that circumstantial evidence, including records of the days the children came home with bruises, can be used in the civil suit.