Your Rights: Reprisal FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions About Reprisal

If I file a charge with the Department of Human Rights or otherwise complain about discrimination at work and I get fired as a result, what can I do about it?

If you are fired or face other retaliation, intimidation or harassment as a result of filing a charge of discrimination, you may choose to file an additional charge based on reprisal. If the department finds there is probable cause to support your charge of reprisal, the department may seek remedies, including financial compensation, on your behalf, even if probable cause was not found with respect to your original charge.

Can my employer legally fire me or otherwise discipline me for filing a claim that it believes is frivolous, or that turns out to be unsubstantiated?

If you have a good faith, reasonable belief that the practice you oppose is discriminatory, and your employer subjects you to retaliation, your employer may be in violation of the Human Right Act's prohibitions against reprisal—even if your original claim of discrimination is not substantiated and your employer regards it as lacking merit.

If I file a charge of sexual harassment against a co-worker, and my employer changes my schedule and/or work assignments to keep us apart and end the harassment, is that legal? What if I don't like my new schedule or work assignments, even if I still have the same pay?

Your employer may not subject you to adverse treatment because you filed a charge of sexual harassment. In some cases, a change of work assignments or schedule could be considered adverse treatment, even if the employer's motive was to end the harassment and your pay rate did not change.

More Information


What To Do

Contact us, do not wait! You have one year from the time the discrimination happened to file a charge with our agency.