November is Native American Heritage Month
Indian Tribes in Minnesota
In Minnesota, there are seven Anishinaabe (Chippewa, Ojibwe) reservations and four Dakota (Sioux) communities. A reservation or community is a segment of land that belongs to one or more groups of American Indians. Find an overview of Indian Tribes in Minnesota on the Minnesota Indian Affairs Council web site.
Web Sites and Resources Related to Native American Heritage Month
- Presidential Proclamation - National Native American Heritage Month, 2012
- Overview of Indian Tribes in Minnesota, Indian Affairs Council
- Links and resources about the Indian Tribes in Minnesota from mn.gov.
- Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian
- Why Treaties Matter Exhibit
- A Day in the Life of Minnesota Tribal Nations: a 14-minute video production by the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian, created in partnership with the Minnesota Indian Affairs Council and the Minnesota Humanities Center.
- Minnesota History Center: US - Dakota War of 1862 Exhibit