Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month
For the past five years (2008 - 2013) President Barack Obama has declared June to be Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. In 2000, President Bill Clinton declared June to be Gay and Lesbian Pride month.
In 2011 Governor Mark Dayton became the first Minnesota Governor to walk the Twin Cities Pride Parade. (See CBS MN story).
Twin Cities Pride
The 2013 Twin Cities Pride Celebration will be June 28-30 at Loring Park in Minneapolis. The theme for the 2013 PRIDE Festival is, "I HAVE PRIDE."
Regional Pride events
- South Central Minnesota Pride: Sat., Sept. 7
- Brainerd Pride Picnic: 2:00 to 5:00 pm Saturday, June 15
- Grand Rapids Pride: Sun., June 23 from 5:00 to 7:00 pm at Veteran's Park
- Twin Cities Pride: Sat. & Sun., June 29 and 30
- Rochester PrideFest United for Equality: July 15-21
- Duluth-Superior Pride: Sat., Sept. 1
- St. Cloud Pride in the Park: Sat., Sept. 21
A Map of Regional Prides can be found on the Twin Cities Pride web site.
Web sites and resources related to LGBT Pride
- OutFront Minnesota: OutFront Minnesota provides leadership by delivering programs and services to Minnesota's LGBT and allied communities in the areas of community organizing, public policy, anti-violence, law, education and training.
- List of LGBT and Allied Organizations from OutFront MN:
Over 200 organizations which offer diverse programs and services to LGBT Minnesotans, their friends and families.
- Library of Congress: provides links to presidential proclamations commemorating the contributions of LGBT individuals and supporters in achieving equal justice and equal opportunity for LGBT Americans.
- Stonewall Riots: The Beginning of the LGBT Movement, Civil Rights.org