Other Agencies

Other Agencies that May Help

The Minnesota Department of Human Rights has jurisdiction to investigate illegal discrimination covered by the Minnesota Human Rights Act. If you are looking for assistance in a matter that we do not cover, such as child welfare services or workers' compensation, there are other agencies that may be able to help you. Refer to the list below for frequently requested services.

Frequently Requested Services and Other Resources

Please note that phone numbers and other contact information may change. If you know of a phone number or other information that is no longer accurate, please contact the webmaster.

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

The EEOC enforces federal laws which prohibit employment discrimination.

  • 612-335-4041 or 800-669-3362.
  • If you have already filed a charge, call 866-408-8075
  • Web site: http://www.eeoc.gov/

Lawyers Professional Responsibility Board

An agency of the Minnesota Supreme Court established to handle complaints of unprofessional conduct against Minnesota lawyers.

  • 651-296-3952 / Toll Free 800-657-3601 / TTY users call MN relay service toll free: 1-800-627-3529
  • Web site: http://lprb.mncourts.gov/

Minnesota Attorney General (Consumer Division)

Consumer Complaints Division: the Attorney General's Office accepts complaints from citizens on a large variety of matters.

  • 651-296-3353 / Toll Free 800-657-3787 / TTY 651-297-7206 or 800-366-4812
  • Web site: http://www.ag.state.mn.us/Consumer/Complaint.asp/

Minnesota Department of Employment & Economic Development (DEED)

DEED is the state's principal economic development agency. DEED offers programs for job seekers, businesses and local governments.

  • 651-259-7114 / Toll Free 800-657-3858 / TTY 651-296-3900
  • Web site: http://www.positivelyminnesota.com/index.aspx

Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS)

DHS programs include Medical Assistance (MA), General Assistance Medical Care (GAMC), MinnesotaCare, Minnesota Family Investment Program (Minnesota's version of the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program), General Assistance (GA), child protection, child support enforcement, child welfare services, and services for people who are mentally ill, chemically dependent or have physical or developmental disabilities. DHS also provides direct service through its regional offices for the deaf and hard of hearing; through State Operated Services (SOS), which provides direct care to people with disabilities; and through the Minnesota Sex Offender Program.

  • Customer service: 651-431-2000 / Toll Free 800-366-8930 / TTY/TDD service: 800-627-3529
  • Child Support Division: 651-215-1714
  • Appeals Division: 651-296-5764
  • Web site: http://mn.gov/dhs/

Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry

Handles Construction Codes and Licensing, Workers' Compensation and Labor Standards (wages, overtime, working conditions, hours and restrictions, child labor)

  • Main number: 651-284-5005 or 800-342-5354
  • Workers Compensation: 651-284-5005, #2
  • Wage and Hour & Other Employee Concerns: 651-284-5005, #4
  • OSHA/Posters : 651-284-5042 or 1-800-342-5354
  • Web site: http://www.dli.mn.gov/main.asp

Ombudsman for Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities

Assists individuals with mental illness and developmental disabilities to overcome the delay, injustice or impersonal delivery of services.

  • 651-757-1800 / Toll Free 800-657-3506 / TTY Minnesota Relay Service 711
  • 651-757-1800 or 1-800-657-3507
  • Web site: http://mn.gov/omhdd/

U.S. Department of Labor - Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

Wage & Hour Division

The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons under certain circumstances.

  • 612-370-3341 / Toll Free 866-487-9243
  • Web site: http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

These listings are provided for information only. The Minnesota Department of Human Rights does not endorse or recommend any individual agency or service.