Commissioner Lindsey on "Ban the Box"
Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton signed a bill expanding the "Ban the Box" law to private employers that will go into effect beginning Jan. 1, 2014. This law offers the vast majority of individuals with a non-violent criminal record a second chance at an opportunity for employment to better their lives. Human Rights Commissioner Kevin Lindsey talks about the new law and offers practical information for employers on implementing it as part of the hiring process.
Find more human rights topics and answers to your human rights questions on the MDHR You Tube channel.
- EEOC Pre-Employment Inquiries and Arrest & Conviction information
- EEOC Enforcement Guidance - Consideration of Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions (2012)
- Ban the Box Overview for Private Employers
- Frequently Asked Questions on Ban the Box (FAQ)
- History and Background
- Technical Guidance (PDF)
- Occupations Requiring Criminal Background Checks