For Immediate Release: November 25, 2013
Virtual Panel to discuss strategic advantages of hiring people with disabilities during Human Rights Week
ST. PAUL, MN – Realizing the strategic advantages to hiring people with disabilities will be featured at a virtual panel discussion from 9 to 11 a.m. on Dec. 6 as part of MDHR’s Human Rights’ week.
Minnesotans statewide can engage in a virtual discussion regarding the advantages of hiring people with disabilities by looking beyond stereotypes and expanding the employment opportunities for the disability community. Disability community members will share their successes in finding rewarding employment as well as the challenges in seeking employment. Employers will discuss the advantages of hiring people with disabilities and the successes realized through their experiences
“More businesses are beginning to recognize the talents of the disability community as an important segment in Minnesota’s workforce,” said Commissioner Kevin Lindsey. “There is more work to be done to expand opportunities for people with disabilities to use their talents in mutually rewarding employment.”
Employees engaging in the conversation includes Howard Rosten, an assistive technology expert from Mankato, Meredith Dupre, a licensed social worker seeking employment, Allen Chandler, an Independent Living Specialist at Southeast Minnesota Center for Independent Living, Tracy Bell, a deaf and hard of hearing services supervisor from Mankato, and Lori Thompson, office administrative support specialist with the Minnesota Board of Pharmacies.
Employer panelists include Mara Thompson, Medtronic, Scott Berscheid, operations manager at Pitney Bowes Presort Services in the Twin Cities, Kari Scanlon, Human Resources professional from JEM Technical from Orono, and Patricia Eggers, Office Manager for the Minnesota Board of Pharmacies.
The event will feature video remarks from Michael Murray, U.S. Office of Personnel Management, on the Strategic Advantages to Hiring People with Disabilities and will be moderated by Jon Alexander, Chief Executive Officer, Kaposia.
Event sponsors include: Minnesota Department of Human Rights, Vocational Rehabilitation Services, Minnesota Department of Employment & Economic Development, Minnesota State Council on Disability, Minnesota Management and Budget, Minnesota Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities, Department of Human Services, State Services for the Blind, Commission of Deaf, Blind and Hard of Hearing Minnesotans, State Ombudsman for Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities, Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Division, and Minnesota STAR Program.
Minnesota Satellite Locations
- Brown County Family Services, Sleepy Eye Room, 1117 Center St., New Ulm, MN 56073
- Clay County Courthouse, 807 - 11th St. N., 3rd Floor, Rm 15, Moorhead, MN 56560
- Douglas County Human Services, 809 Elm St, Suite 1186, Alexandria, MN 56308
- Goodhue County Government Center, 509 Fifth St., Red Wing, Mn 55066
- Hennepin County Government Center, Room 1713, 300 S. 6th St., Minneapolis, MN 55487
- LeSueur County Human Services, 88 S. Park Ave., LeCenter, MN 56057
- Marshall County Social Services, 208 E. Colvin Ave., Warren, MN 56762-1695
- Martin County Human Services, 115 W. 1st St., Fairmont, 56031
- Nicollet County, EOC Room, 501 S. Minnesota Ave., St. Peter, MN 56082
- Office of Administrative Hearings, Duluth
- Olmsted County Community Services, 2117 Campus Drive SE, 2nd Fl., Rochester, MN 55904
- Otter Tail County Government Services Center, 550 West Firt Ave., Fergus Falls, MN 56538
- Polk County Government Center, Room 302, 612 N. Broadway, Crookston, MN 56716
- Renville County Human Services, Room 121b, 410 E. DePue, Olivia, MN 56277
- St. Louis County, Office of Administrative Hearings, 11 E. Superior St., Suite 180 Duluth MN, 55802
- Stearns County Human Services, Rm 33, 705 Courthouse Sq., Saint Cloud, MN 56302
- Waseca County Public Health, 299 Johnson Ave. SW, Waseca, MN 56093
Contact: Jeff Holman at 651.539.1090 or Jeff.email@example.com
Minnesota Department of Human Rights, Communications Department Freeman Building, 625 Robert Street North, Saint Paul, MN 55155
Press Releases Index
Find more press releases in the MDHR Press Releases Index