MAELC will award grants to support programming for agricultural, food and natural resource education (AFNR) education at the primary, secondary, and postsecondary levels. Groups may apply for grants through a sponsoring organization. Applications are due before midnight (central) on April 15, 2019.
These strategic grants are focsued to assist in the following areas:
- Implementation of new or expansion of current AFNR education programs that attract new and underserved/underrepresented groups
- Development of experiences that grow knowledge and understanding of AFNR systems
- Offering career exploration programs that recruit and retain students for the future workforce in agricultural education and agriculture careers
- Creation and/or alignment of AFNR courses for effective integration of science, math and economics standards and principles
- Securing equipment and technology needs that enhance student experience and instruction
- Development and/or improvement of AFNR curriculum and course delivery methods
Teacher Professional Development
- Supporting career lifecycles of agricultural educators (e.g. pre-service, early, mid or late career), which can include professional development opportunities
- Creation of programs that recruit, retain and transition instructors at the secondary, postsecondary and adult farm business management levels
Over the last five years, grant awards have ranged from $500-$30,000, with the average award amount being $7,300.
Please note applications are no longer accepted for greenhouse structures, however, funding for items such as consumables or other materials used in a greenhouse will still be considered.
Application Procedures and Guidelines
For more information about the Strategic Initiatives grant program and an application overview, please review the "Strategic Initiatives Application Guidelines" (PDF).