Minnesota State Law Library
|Law and Government - Minnesota
|Law and Government - U. S.
|Law and Government - States||Forms|
|Secondary Legal Resources
Continuing Legal Education
News - Law
Periodicals and Law Reviews
Research Aids and Pathfinders
|Non-Legal Information Resources
Dictionaries, Thesauri, Quotes
News - Minnesota
News - World
|Attorneys and Judges
|Indexes and Search Engines
Law and Government
|Courts and Statistics||Self Help Resources|
Law and Government - Minnesota
- Minnesota Constitution
- Minnesota's Original Constitution, from the Minnesota Historical Society.
- State Constitutional Amendments Considered, from the Legislative Reference Library.
- Minnesota Constitutional Amendments: History and Legal Principles, from the Research Department, Minnesota House of Representatives.
- Minnesota Statutes and Session Laws
- Minnesota Statutes Archive, back to 1851.
- Unconstitutional Statutes, from the Revisor of Statutes.
- Minnesota Session Laws Archive, back to 1849.
- Bill Search and Status, includes useful guides to the legislative process and how to research it.
- Legislative Time Capsule, from the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. Consolidates important statistics and materials for each biennial session of the Legislature back to territorial times.
- Minnesota State Legislature
- Historical Information About the Minnesota Legislature
- Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
- Minnesota (Administrative) Rules
- Minnesota Rules Archive, back to 1982.
- Minnesota Rule Status - Basic Search. This tool is still in beta testing.
- Minnesota State Register.
- Minnesota State Register Archive, back to volume 1, 1976-77.
- SONARs - Statements of Need and Reasonableness, from the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. (Online Archive coverage begins in 2006.)
- Researching Minnesota Agency Regulations, a guide from the Minnesota State Law Library.
- Executive Branch Reorganization Orders, from the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library.
- Office of Administrative Hearings
- Administrative Courts
- Governor and State Officials, from Minnesota.gov.
- Attorney General
- Opinions, 1993 to present.
- Executive Orders, 1968 to Present.
- Bills Vetoed in Minnesota 1939 - Present, from the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library.
- Secretary of State
- Forms and Publications
- Publications and Legislative Manual, including publications on elections and voting.
- State Agencies, Boards, Commissions, from Minnesota.gov.
- Department of Administration
- Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education
- Minnesota Board on Judicial Standards includes directions for filing a complaint.
- Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board formerly Ethical Practices Board.
- Minnesota Client Security Board compensates victims of lawyer theft. Includes rules and information on filing a claim.
- Minnesota Department of Corrections
- Minnesota Department of Human Rights
- Minnesota Department of Human Services
- Fair Hearings Decision Database (search human services appeals decisions)
- Minnesota Department of Revenue
- Minnesota Indian Affairs Council
- Minnesota Lawyers Professional Responsibility Board includes information on filing a complaint against a lawyer.
- Minnesota Ombudsman Offices
- Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines Commission
- Minnesota State Board of Law Examiners
- Minnesota State Board of Legal Certification
- Minnesota Judicial Branch
- Supreme Court
- Court of Appeals
- District Courts
- Decisions of the Courts
- Current Week's Opinions of the Supreme Court, and Court of Appeals.
- Appellate Courts Archive
- Minnesota Lawyer: Appellate Courts Edition (in-library access only, except for subscribers to the Minnesota Lawyer newspaper.)
- MACS, the case management system of the Minnesota Appellate Courts. Track the progress of a case on appeal.
- Access Case Records, of the Trial Courts.
- Special Term Opinion Subject Matter Index, Rev. 8/14
- Other Court documents:
- Briefs, the Minnesota State Law Library's collection of Minnesota appellate court briefs.
- Oral Arguments, of the Minnesota Supreme Court. A video archive beginning September 2005.
- Recommendations of the Minnesota Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Public Access to Records of the Judicial Branch, June 28, 2004.
- Standards of Review, Rev. 8/11
- Supreme Court Administrative Files. Petitions, reports and court orders on changes to the rules of procedure.
- Rules of Court and Forms
- Minnesota Court Rules, including appendices of forms, from the Judiciary's website. Available in MSWord or PDF. This site includes the most recent orders modifying rules.
- Minnesota Court Rules, including appendices of forms, from the Revisor of Statutes' website.
- Cumulative Court Rules Index, from the Revisor of Statutes' website.
- Court Forms, state-approved forms from the Minnesota courts.
- Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines and Commentary
- Law Library Publications
- County and Municipal Ordinances
- Minnesota Cities on the Web, from Minnesota.gov.
- Minnesota City Directory, from the League of Minnesota Cities.
- Minnesota Counties on the Web, from Minnesota.gov.
- Minnesota County Web Sites, from the Association of Minnesota Counties.
- Minnesota Townships on the Web, from Minnesota.gov.
Law and Government - United States
- Constitution of the United States, from the National Archives.
- Constitution of the United States, with annotations by the Congressional Research Service. From the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- The Founders Constitution, a source of historical material on the U.S. Constitution.
- United States Code, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- United States Code, from the Government Printing Office.
- United States Statutes at Large, from the Government Printing Office.
- United States Statutes at Large, from the Library of Congress.
- United States Code Classification Tables, from the Office of the Law Revision Counsel, showing where recently enacted statutes appear in the Code.
- Popular Names of Acts in the US Code, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Thomas, legislative information from the Library of Congress.
- GPO's Federal Digital System (FDsys), provides public access to Government information submitted by Congress and Federal agencies and preserved as technology changes.
- U.S. Congressional Documents, from the Rutgers University School of Law, Camden.
- Federal Legislative History Research: A Practitioner's Guide to Compiling the Documents and Sifting for Legislative Intent, from the Law Librarians Society of Washington, D.C.
- Legislative History Research: A Basic Guide, from the Congressional Research Service.
- Legislative Histories of Selected U.S. Laws on the Internet , from the Law Librarians Society of Washington, D.C.
- Legislative Sourcebook, from the Law Librarians Society of Washington, D.C.
- United States Statutes and the United States Code: Historical Outlines, Notes, Lists, Tables, and Sources, from the Law Librarians Society of Washington, D.C.
- United States Government Manual, from the Government Printing Office.
- Code of Federal Regulations, from the Government Printing Office.
- Code of Federal Regulations, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Federal Register, from the Government Printing Office; Federal Register 2.0
- e-CFR: the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations, from the Government Printing Office. An unofficial version, updated on a daily basis.
- Executive Orders (starting with J.Q. Adams), from The American Presidency Project.
- A Research Guide to the Federal Register and the Code of Federal Regulations, from the Law Librarians' Society of Washington, D.C.
- Federal Administrative Decisions, from the University of Virginia.
- Reginfo.gov, from the Regulatory information Service Center. Includes the Unified Agenda of Federal Regulatory and Deregulatory Actions.
- Compilation of Presidential Documents, from the Government Printing Office.
- GPO's Federal Digital System (FDsys) provides public access to Government information submitted by Congress and Federal agencies and preserved as technology changes.
- USA.gov: the Federal Government's Official Web Portal
- United States Supreme Court (the official site) Includes dockets, court calendars, slip opinions, United States Reports from volume 502 (1991) and oral argument transcripts beginning in 2000.
- US Supreme Court Center, from Justia.
- Supreme Court Collection, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell. Opinions begin with 1990.
- Supreme Court Opinions, from FindLaw. Opinions begin with 1893.
- Where to Find Briefs of the Supreme Court of the U.S., from the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Supreme Court Briefs, from FindLaw.
- The Supreme Court Database
- CourtWEB, Online Federal Court Opinions Information System.
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Courts, official site.
- Federal Court Locator, from the United States Courts.
- Federal District Court Filings, from Justia.
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota
- United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Minnesota
- Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Federal Rules of Evidence, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Federal Sentencing Guidelines Manual, from the United States Sentencing Commission.
- Guide to the U.S. Federal Legal System: Web-Based Publicly Accessible Sources, from LLRX.
Law and Government - States
- Constitutions, Statutes and Codes, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell. Also includes Uniform Laws.
- Court Rules, Forms and Dockets, from LLRX.
- Finding Briefs on the Web, by Robert J. Ambrogi.
- Free and Fee-Based Appellate Court Briefs Online, from LLRX.
- Jury Instructions Update, from LLRX.
- Legislatures and Elections, from the National Conference of State Legislatures.
- The LII collection of state legal materials, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- State and Local Government on the Net
- State and Territorial Governments, from USA.gov.
- State Blue Books
- State Courts by Jurisdiction, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- State, Federal and International Information on the Web, from the Washburn University School of Law.
- State Legislatures, State Laws and State Regulations: Web Site Links and Telephone Numbers, from the Law Librarians Society of Washington, D.C.
- Topic Index: State Statutes, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Publishers of municipal codes
Secondary Legal Resources
Continuing Legal Education
- Glossary of Court-related Terms, from the Minnesota Judicial Branch.
- Glossary of Terms, from the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota.
- Law Dictionaries, from YourDictionary.com.
- 'Lectric Law Library's Free Legal Lexicon. "A number of the Lexicon's files contain material from Bouvier's Legal Dictionary, a work published in the 1850's."
- Legal Terminology Glossaries (in other languages). Resources for Court Interpreters, from the Minnesota Judicial Branch.
- Legal Terms, from the Fifth District Courts, serving Southwest Minnesota.
- Legal Terms (Dictionary), from the Housing Court for the Fourth District, Hennepin County Minnesota.
- Legal Words: What Do They Mean? from LawHelpMN.org.
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, from Findlaw.
- Nolo's Free Dictionary of Law Terms and Legal Definitions
- The People's Law Dictionary, from Law.com.
- Pronouncing Dictionary of the Supreme Court of the United States, from the Yale Law School, a guide to difficult-to-pronounce case names.
- Tickets and Fines: Definitions, from the Fourth District Courts, Hennepin County Minnesota.
News - Law
- BlawgSearch, from Justia.
- CNN Justice
- Global Legal Monitor, from the Law Library of Congress.
- Law.com, from American Lawyer Media.
- Law Professor Blogs
- Legal News Center, from HG.org.
- Legal Pulse, News from FindLaw
- Minnesota Lawyer
- Minnesota's Legal Newspapers,from the Minnesota Secretary of State's Office.
- National Law Journal
- Writ: FindLaw's Legal Commentary
Periodicals and Law Reviews
- ABA Journal
- Academic Law Journals and Law Reviews, from FindLaw.
- Barrister, official publication of the Ramsey County Bar Association.
- Bluebook Abbreviations of Law Reviews & Legal Periodicals, from the M.G. Gallagher Law Library, University of Washington.
- Empirical Legal Studies Bibliography, from UCLA School of Law. A database of recent articles which contain significant empirical research
- Hennepin Lawyer, official publication of the Hennepin County Bar Association.
- Law Journals, from the Washburn University School of Law Library.
- Minnesota Legal History Project
- Minnesota Legal Periodical Index
Research Aids and Pathfinders
- Introduction to Basic Legal Citation by Peter Martin.
- The Maroonbook, The University of Chicago Manual of Legal Citation.
- U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual
- Law Schools Worldwide, from HG.org.
- Guide to Law Online, from the Law Library of Congress.
- Issues and Research, from the National Conference of State Legislatures.
- Law Scout, from the University of Akron School of Law. A searchable collection of pathfinders from law schools.
- Legal Topics, from the Minnesota State Law Library.
- Research Guides, from the University of Minnesota Law Library.
- Subject Guides, from Hamline University School of Law Library.
- Judicial Humor, from the University of Washington School of Law. This page identifies and describes humorous court opinions and related sources.
- Wex a collaboratively-created, public-access law dictionary and encyclopedia, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
Dictionaries, Thesauri, Quotes
- Acronym Finder
- Bartlett's Familiar Quotations
- Bible Gateway
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary and Thesaurus
- One Look Dictionaries
- Oxford Dictionaries Online
- Shakespeare Quotes, from e-Notes.
News -- Minnesota
- CBS Minnesota (WCCO)
- KARE 11 (TV)
- KSTP 5 (TV)
- Minnesota Law and Politics
- Minnesota Newspapers Directory
- Minnesota Public Radio News
- Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
- TwinCities.com (St. Paul Pioneer Press)
News - World
- Google Maps
- Interactive Map of the Capitol complex, from Geographic Information Services.
- Life Tables, from the National Center for Health Statistics.
- National Weather Service
- Reference books from Bartleby.com.
- Reference links, from the Legislative Reference Library.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States,from the United States Census Bureau.
- Statistics Resources and Big Data on the Internet, By Marcus P. Zillman, Published by LLRX.
- Ultimate White Pages
- WebMD (Health Information)
- The Weather Channel
- Weather Underground
Attorneys and Judges
- A Compilation of State Lawyer Licensing Databases, from LLRX.
- FindLaw Lawyer Directory
- Martindale.com, Law Directory from Martindale-Hubbell.
- Minnesota Attorney Registration System - Public Inquiry
- Minnesota Lawyers, from LawMoose.
- Minnesota State Bar Association Membership Directory
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - Minnesota Chapter
- American Immigration Lawyers Association - Minnesota/Dakotas Chapter
- Association of Corporate Counsel - Minnesota Chapter
- Association of the Bar of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Christian Legal Society
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota American Indian Bar Association
- Minnesota Association for Justice (f/k/a Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association)
- Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers
- Minnesota County Attorneys Association
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Minnesota Hispanic Bar Association
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association
- Minnesota Lavender Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Supreme Court Historical Society
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- National Lawyers Guild Minnesota
- Ramsey County Bar Association
Indexes and Search Engines
Law and Government
- American Law Sources On-line (ALSO!), links to freely accessible on-line sources of law for the United States and Canada.
- Fee Fie Foe Firm USA, a search engine that focuses on the websites of US law firms.
- FindACase Network, from VersusLaw.
- Google Scholar (legal materials)
- GovEngine.com, a search engine for federal, state and local government sites.
- Law.com Quest, searching the "Legal Web."
- LawMoose, covering Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Legal Information Institute, a research and electronic publishing activity of the Cornell Law School.
- LexisWeb, searching selected legal sites.
- MetaLib, U.S. government database searching.
- PLoL: Public Library of Law,from FastCase.
- Public Legal, from the Internet Legal Research Group.
- WashLaw, from Washburn University School of Law.
- Zimmerman's Research Guide, from LexisNexis.
- Bing Translator (f/k/a Babelfish)
- Complete Planet, the Deep Web Directory
- Panabee, allows you to search multiple search engines and compare results
- SocialMention. Search user-generated content such as blogs, comments, bookmarks, events, news, videos, and microblogging services.
- Wayback Machine, Internet Archive
- Wolfram|Alpha, Enter your question or calculation, and Wolfram|Alpha uses its built-in algorithms and a growing collection of data to compute the answer.
- Keep track of search engines with Search Engine Watch
Courts and Statistics
- American Judges Association
- American Judicature Society
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence
- Conference of State Court Administrators
- Court Statistics Project, from the National Center for State Courts (NCSC) and the Conference of State Court Administrators (COSCA).
- Criminal Justice Statistics Center (Minnesota)
- Drug Court Clearinghouse,from the American University and the Bureau of Justice Assistance.
- Federal Court Management Statistics, from the United States Courts.
- Federal Judicial Center
- Federal Justice Statistics Resource Center, from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- Directors' Annual Reports, from the United States Courts.
- Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System (IAALS) at the University of Denver.
- Judicial Facts and Figures, from the United States Courts.
- Justice Research and Statistics Association
- Minnesota Association for Court Management
- National Association for Court Management
- National Association of Drug Court Professionals/National Drug Court Institute
- National Association of Drug Court Professionals/Veterans Treatment Courts
- National Archive of Criminal Justice Data, from the University of Michigan.
- National Center for Juvenile Justice
- National Center for State Courts
- SEARCH: The National Consortium for Justice Information and Statistics
- State Justice Institute
- Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC is a data gathering, data research and data distribution organization associated with Syracuse University.)
- United States Courts: the Federal Judiciary
- United States Courts: Statistics
- United States Department of Justice
- United States Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs
- United States Sentencing Commission
Self Help Resources
Minnesota State Law Library: Internet Legal Resources
Last updated on October 9, 2014.
Links checked on June 12, 2012.
Please send suggestions to the Web Manager.