Minnesota State Law Library
|Law and Government - Minnesota
|Law and Government - U. S.
|Law and Government - States||Forms|
|Secondary Legal Resources
Continuing Legal Education
News - Law
Periodicals and Law Reviews
Research Aids and Pathfinders
|Non-Legal Information Resources
Dictionaries, Thesauri, Quotes
News - Minnesota
News - World
|Attorneys and Judges
|Indexes and Search Engines
Law and Government
|Courts and Statistics||Self Help Resources|
Law and Government - Minnesota
- Minnesota Constitution
- Minnesota's Original Constitution, from the Minnesota Historical Society.
- State Constitutional Amendments Considered, from the Legislative Reference Library.
- Minnesota Constitutional Amendments: History and Legal Principles, from the Research Department, Minnesota House of Representatives.
- Minnesota Statutes and Session Laws
- Minnesota Statutes Archive, back to 1851.
- Unconstitutional Statutes, from the Revisor of Statutes.
- Minnesota Session Laws Archive, back to 1849.
- Bill Search and Status, includes useful guides to the legislative process and how to research it.
- Legislative Time Capsule, from the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. Consolidates important statistics and materials for each biennial session of the Legislature back to territorial times.
- Minnesota State Legislature
- Historical Information About the Minnesota Legislature
- Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
- Minnesota (Administrative) Rules
- Minnesota Rules Archive, back to 1982.
- Minnesota Rule Status - Basic Search. This tool is still in beta testing.
- Minnesota State Register.
- Minnesota State Register Archive, back to volume 1, 1976-77.
- SONARs - Statements of Need and Reasonableness, from the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. (Online Archive coverage begins in 2006.)
- Researching Minnesota Agency Regulations, a guide from the Minnesota State Law Library.
- Executive Branch Reorganization Orders, from the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library.
- Office of Administrative Hearings
- Administrative Courts
- Governor and State Officials, from Minnesota.gov.
- Attorney General
- Opinions, 1993 to present.
- Executive Orders, 1968 to Present.
- Bills Vetoed in Minnesota 1939 - Present, from the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library.
- Secretary of State
- Forms and Publications
- Publications and Legislative Manual, including publications on elections and voting.
- State Agencies, Boards, Commissions, from Minnesota.gov.
- Department of Administration
- Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education
- Minnesota Board on Judicial Standards includes directions for filing a complaint.
- Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board formerly Ethical Practices Board.
- Minnesota Client Security Board compensates victims of lawyer theft. Includes rules and information on filing a claim.
- Minnesota Department of Corrections
- Minnesota Department of Human Rights
- Minnesota Department of Human Services
- Fair Hearings Decision Database (search human services appeals decisions)
- Minnesota Department of Revenue
- Minnesota Indian Affairs Council
- Minnesota Lawyers Professional Responsibility Board includes information on filing a complaint against a lawyer.
- Minnesota Ombudsman Offices
- Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines Commission
- Minnesota State Board of Law Examiners
- Minnesota State Board of Legal Certification
- Minnesota Judicial Branch
- Supreme Court
- Court of Appeals
- District Courts
- Decisions of the Courts
- Current Week's Opinions of the Supreme Court, and Court of Appeals.
- Appellate Courts Archive
- Minnesota Lawyer: Appellate Courts Edition (in-library access only, except for subscribers to the Minnesota Lawyer newspaper.)
- MACS, the case management system of the Minnesota Appellate Courts. Track the progress of a case on appeal.
- Access Case Records, of the Trial Courts.
- Special Term Opinion Subject Matter Index, Rev. 8/14
- Other Court documents:
- Briefs, the Minnesota State Law Library's collection of Minnesota appellate court briefs.
- Oral Arguments, of the Minnesota Supreme Court. A video archive beginning September 2005.
- Standards of Review, Rev. 2014
- Supreme Court Administrative Files. Petitions, reports and court orders on changes to the rules of procedure, includes materials from the late 1970's to 2011. For more recent documents go to MACS, the appellate courts' case management system.
- District Court Record Retention Schedule (2014)
- Rules of Court and Forms
- Minnesota Court Rules, including appendices of forms, from the Judiciary's website. Available in MSWord or PDF. This site includes the most recent orders modifying rules.
- Minnesota Court Rules, including appendices of forms, from the Revisor of Statutes' website.
- Cumulative Court Rules Index, from the Revisor of Statutes' website.
- Court Forms, state-approved forms from the Minnesota courts.
- Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines and Commentary
- Law Library Publications
- County and Municipal Ordinances
- Minnesota Cities on the Web, from Minnesota.gov.
- Minnesota City Directory, from the League of Minnesota Cities.
- Minnesota Counties on the Web, from Minnesota.gov.
- Minnesota County Web Sites, from the Association of Minnesota Counties.
- Minnesota Townships on the Web, from Minnesota.gov.
Law and Government - United States
- Constitution of the United States, from the National Archives.
- Constitution of the United States, with annotations by the Congressional Research Service. From the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- The Founders Constitution, a source of historical material on the U.S. Constitution.
- United States Code, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- United States Code, from the Government Printing Office.
- United States Statutes at Large, from the Government Printing Office.
- United States Statutes at Large, from the Library of Congress.
- United States Code Classification Tables, from the Office of the Law Revision Counsel, showing where recently enacted statutes appear in the Code.
- Popular Names of Acts in the US Code, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Thomas, legislative information from the Library of Congress.
- GPO's Federal Digital System (FDsys), provides public access to Government information submitted by Congress and Federal agencies and preserved as technology changes.
- U.S. Congressional Documents, from the Rutgers University School of Law, Camden.
- Federal Legislative History Research: A Practitioner's Guide to Compiling the Documents and Sifting for Legislative Intent, from the Law Librarians Society of Washington, D.C.
- Legislative History Research: A Basic Guide, from the Congressional Research Service.
- Legislative Histories of Selected U.S. Laws on the Internet , from the Law Librarians Society of Washington, D.C.
- Legislative Sourcebook, from the Law Librarians Society of Washington, D.C.
- United States Statutes and the United States Code: Historical Outlines, Notes, Lists, Tables, and Sources, from the Law Librarians Society of Washington, D.C.
- United States Government Manual, from the Government Printing Office.
- Code of Federal Regulations, from the Government Printing Office.
- Code of Federal Regulations, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Federal Register, from the Government Printing Office; Federal Register 2.0
- e-CFR: the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations, from the Government Printing Office. An unofficial version, updated on a daily basis.
- Executive Orders (starting with J.Q. Adams), from The American Presidency Project.
- A Research Guide to the Federal Register and the Code of Federal Regulations, from the Law Librarians' Society of Washington, D.C.
- Federal Administrative Decisions, from the University of Virginia.
- Reginfo.gov, from the Regulatory information Service Center. Includes the Unified Agenda of Federal Regulatory and Deregulatory Actions.
- Compilation of Presidential Documents, from the Government Printing Office.
- GPO's Federal Digital System (FDsys) provides public access to Government information submitted by Congress and Federal agencies and preserved as technology changes.
- USA.gov: the Federal Government's Official Web Portal
- United States Supreme Court (the official site) Includes dockets, court calendars, slip opinions, United States Reports from volume 502 (1991) and oral argument transcripts beginning in 2000.
- US Supreme Court Center, from Justia.
- Supreme Court Collection, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell. Opinions begin with 1990.
- Supreme Court Opinions, from FindLaw. Opinions begin with 1893.
- Where to Find Briefs of the Supreme Court of the U.S., from the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Supreme Court Briefs, from FindLaw.
- The Supreme Court Database
- CourtWEB, Online Federal Court Opinions Information System.
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Courts, official site.
- Federal Court Locator, from the United States Courts.
- Federal District Court Filings, from Justia.
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota
- United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Minnesota
- Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Federal Rules of Evidence, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Federal Sentencing Guidelines Manual, from the United States Sentencing Commission.
- Guide to the U.S. Federal Legal System: Web-Based Publicly Accessible Sources, from LLRX.
Law and Government - States
- Constitutions, Statutes and Codes, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell. Also includes Uniform Laws.
- Court Rules, Forms and Dockets, from LLRX.
- Finding Briefs on the Web, by Robert J. Ambrogi.
- Free and Fee-Based Appellate Court Briefs Online, from LLRX.
- Jury Instructions Update, from LLRX.
- Legislatures and Elections, from the National Conference of State Legislatures.
- The LII collection of state legal materials, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- State and Local Government on the Net
- State and Territorial Governments, from USA.gov.
- State Blue Books
- State Courts by Jurisdiction, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- State, Federal and International Information on the Web, from the Washburn University School of Law.
- State Legislatures, State Laws and State Regulations: Web Site Links and Telephone Numbers, from the Law Librarians Society of Washington, D.C.
- Topic Index: State Statutes, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
- Publishers of municipal codes
Secondary Legal Resources
Continuing Legal Education
- Glossary of Court-related Terms, from the Minnesota Judicial Branch.
- Glossary of Terms, from the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota.
- Law Dictionaries, from YourDictionary.com.
- 'Lectric Law Library's Free Legal Lexicon. "A number of the Lexicon's files contain material from Bouvier's Legal Dictionary, a work published in the 1850's."
- Legal Terminology Glossaries (in other languages). Resources for Court Interpreters, from the Minnesota Judicial Branch.
- Legal Terms, from the Fifth District Courts, serving Southwest Minnesota.
- Legal Terms (Dictionary), from the Housing Court for the Fourth District, Hennepin County Minnesota.
- Legal Words: What Do They Mean? from LawHelpMN.org.
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, from Findlaw.
- Nolo's Free Dictionary of Law Terms and Legal Definitions
- The People's Law Dictionary, from Law.com.
- Pronouncing Dictionary of the Supreme Court of the United States, from the Yale Law School, a guide to difficult-to-pronounce case names.
- Tickets and Fines: Definitions, from the Fourth District Courts, Hennepin County Minnesota.
News - Law
- BlawgSearch, from Justia.
- CNN Justice
- Global Legal Monitor, from the Law Library of Congress.
- Law.com, from American Lawyer Media.
- Law Professor Blogs
- Legal News Center, from HG.org.
- Legal Pulse, News from FindLaw
- Minnesota Lawyer
- Minnesota's Legal Newspapers,from the Minnesota Secretary of State's Office.
- National Law Journal
- Writ: FindLaw's Legal Commentary
Periodicals and Law Reviews
- ABA Journal
- Academic Law Journals and Law Reviews, from FindLaw.
- Barrister, official publication of the Ramsey County Bar Association.
- Bluebook Abbreviations of Law Reviews & Legal Periodicals, from the M.G. Gallagher Law Library, University of Washington.
- Empirical Legal Studies Bibliography, from UCLA School of Law. A database of recent articles which contain significant empirical research
- Hennepin Lawyer, official publication of the Hennepin County Bar Association.
- Law Journals, from the Washburn University School of Law Library.
- Minnesota Legal History Project
- Minnesota Legal Periodical Index
Research Aids and Pathfinders
- Introduction to Basic Legal Citation by Peter Martin.
- The Maroonbook, The University of Chicago Manual of Legal Citation.
- U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual
- Law Schools Worldwide, from HG.org.
- Guide to Law Online, from the Law Library of Congress.
- Issues and Research, from the National Conference of State Legislatures.
- Law Scout, from the University of Akron School of Law. A searchable collection of pathfinders from law schools.
- Legal Topics, from the Minnesota State Law Library.
- Research Guides, from the University of Minnesota Law Library.
- Subject Guides, from Hamline University School of Law Library.
- Judicial Humor, from the University of Washington School of Law. This page identifies and describes humorous court opinions and related sources.
- Wex a collaboratively-created, public-access law dictionary and encyclopedia, from the Legal Information Institute at Cornell.
Dictionaries, Thesauri, Quotes
- Acronym Finder
- Bartlett's Familiar Quotations
- Bible Gateway
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary and Thesaurus
- One Look Dictionaries
- Oxford Dictionaries Online
- Shakespeare Quotes, from e-Notes.
News -- Minnesota
- CBS Minnesota (WCCO)
- KARE 11 (TV)
- KSTP 5 (TV)
- Minnesota Law and Politics
- Minnesota Newspapers Directory
- Minnesota Public Radio News
- Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
- TwinCities.com (St. Paul Pioneer Press)
News - World
- Google Maps
- Interactive Map of the Capitol complex, from Geographic Information Services.
- Life Tables, from the National Center for Health Statistics.
- National Weather Service
- Reference books from Bartleby.com.
- Reference links, from the Legislative Reference Library.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States,from the United States Census Bureau.
- Statistics Resources and Big Data on the Internet, By Marcus P. Zillman, Published by LLRX.
- Ultimate White Pages
- WebMD (Health Information)
- The Weather Channel
- Weather Underground
Attorneys and Judges
- A Compilation of State Lawyer Licensing Databases, from LLRX.
- FindLaw Lawyer Directory
- Martindale.com, Law Directory from Martindale-Hubbell.
- Minnesota Attorney Registration System - Public Inquiry
- Minnesota Lawyers, from LawMoose.
- Minnesota State Bar Association Membership Directory
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - Minnesota Chapter
- American Immigration Lawyers Association - Minnesota/Dakotas Chapter
- Association of Corporate Counsel - Minnesota Chapter
- Association of the Bar of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Christian Legal Society
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota American Indian Bar Association
- Minnesota Association for Justice (f/k/a Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association)
- Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers
- Minnesota County Attorneys Association
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Minnesota Hispanic Bar Association
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association
- Minnesota Lavender Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Supreme Court Historical Society
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- National Lawyers Guild Minnesota
- Ramsey County Bar Association
Indexes and Search Engines
Law and Government
- American Law Sources On-line (ALSO!), links to freely accessible on-line sources of law for the United States and Canada.
- Fee Fie Foe Firm USA, a search engine that focuses on the websites of US law firms.
- FindACase Network, from VersusLaw.
- Google Scholar (legal materials)
- GovEngine.com, a search engine for federal, state and local government sites.
- Law.com Quest, searching the "Legal Web."
- LawMoose, covering Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Legal Information Institute, a research and electronic publishing activity of the Cornell Law School.
- LexisWeb, searching selected legal sites.
- MetaLib, U.S. government database searching.
- PLoL: Public Library of Law,from FastCase.
- Public Legal, from the Internet Legal Research Group.
- WashLaw, from Washburn University School of Law.
- Zimmerman's Research Guide, from LexisNexis.
- Bing Translator (f/k/a Babelfish)
- Complete Planet, the Deep Web Directory
- Panabee, allows you to search multiple search engines and compare results
- SocialMention. Search user-generated content such as blogs, comments, bookmarks, events, news, videos, and microblogging services.
- Wayback Machine, Internet Archive
- Wolfram|Alpha, Enter your question or calculation, and Wolfram|Alpha uses its built-in algorithms and a growing collection of data to compute the answer.
- Keep track of search engines with Search Engine Watch
Courts and Statistics
- American Judges Association
- American Judicature Society
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence
- Conference of State Court Administrators
- Court Statistics Project, from the National Center for State Courts (NCSC) and the Conference of State Court Administrators (COSCA).
- Criminal Justice Statistics Center (Minnesota)
- Drug Court Clearinghouse,from the American University and the Bureau of Justice Assistance.
- Federal Court Management Statistics, from the United States Courts.
- Federal Judicial Center
- Federal Justice Statistics Resource Center, from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- Directors' Annual Reports, from the United States Courts.
- Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System (IAALS) at the University of Denver.
- Judicial Facts and Figures, from the United States Courts.
- Justice Research and Statistics Association
- Minnesota Association for Court Management
- National Association for Court Management
- National Association of Drug Court Professionals/National Drug Court Institute
- National Association of Drug Court Professionals/Veterans Treatment Courts
- National Archive of Criminal Justice Data, from the University of Michigan.
- National Center for Juvenile Justice
- National Center for State Courts
- SEARCH: The National Consortium for Justice Information and Statistics
- State Justice Institute
- Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC is a data gathering, data research and data distribution organization associated with Syracuse University.)
- United States Courts: the Federal Judiciary
- United States Courts: Statistics
- United States Department of Justice
- United States Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs
- United States Sentencing Commission
Self Help Resources
Minnesota State Law Library: Internet Legal Resources
Last updated on January 27, 2015.
Links checked on June 12, 2012.
Please send suggestions to the Web Manager.