People tend to live and work in northeastern Minnesota because that’s where they want to be. The region’s small cities, towns and rural areas provide “big-city” amenities with low crime rates and virtually no traffic jams. Communities provide education, health care, and housing that are second to none. In addition to clean air, lush forests, and sky-blue lakes, the area offers plenty of hunting, fishing and other recreational activities. Cultural attractions include visual and performing arts and historic sites which preserve and showcase the rich heritage of the region.
Why northeastern Minnesota? Perhaps a better question is--why not?
* Northeastern Minnesota is home to 1.6 million state park acres and has a variety of recreation opportunities year round.
* Boat, canoe, and fish on over 2,000 lakes and streams within the Superior National Forest located in the region, and check out the internationally renowned Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA), where there are over 1,000 pristine lakes and streams and over 1,500 miles of canoe routes.
* Lake Vermillion boasts 40,000 acres of water, 365 islands and 1,200 miles of shoreline stretching across 40 miles in the heart of Minnesota’s Arrowhead Region and the northern fringes of the Mesabi Iron Range.
* Biking and hiking also plays a huge part in the recreation of the region, with easy trail access and detailed maps. There are seven well-known biking and hiking trails in the region totaling 356.6 miles of routes in northeastern Minnesota.
* Minnesota has more golfers per capita than any other state. There are more than a dozen prominent golf courses in the northeastern region, including The Wilderness at Fortune Bay and The Legend and The Quarry at Giants Ridge.
* Both Nordic and alpine skiing is popular in northeastern Minnesota. Over 1,000 kilometers of beautifully groomed cross-county ski trails are available. The area also boasts three award-winning ski resorts: Giants Ridge, Lutsen, and Spirit Mountain.
* Northeastern Minnesota offers more than 8,000 miles of excellent, groomed and well-signed snowmobile trails.
* There are a number of attractions in the area, including Minnesota Discovery Center in Chisholm, Judy Garland’s birthplace in Grand Rapids and Bob Dylan’s childhood home in Hibbing.