Gambling Control Board
Suite 300 South
1711 West County Road B
Roseville, MN 55113
Excluded and Exempt Frequently Asked Questions
1) May we use theatre tickets for our raffle?
Yes, an organization may use theatre tickets that contain sequential numbers if:
(NOTE: Licensed organizations may not use theatre tickets for raffles.)
2) We would like to change our raffle date. Do we need to submit a new application for exempt permit?
3) What information must be printed on a raffle ticket?
4) For our 50/50 raffle, may we take out our expenses before splitting the pot?
5) Do we have to list all prizes on the raffle ticket?
6) May we sell raffle tickets through our website?
7) Are there any age restrictions for raffles?
8) May we accept credit cards for the purchase of raffle tickets?
9) My organization will be conducting a raffle next month. Is it legal for us to enter every person who sells
100 tickets for that raffle into a drawing for a $500 prize?
10) Our organization has an exempt permit to conduct a raffle. Does the five-day limit for gambling activity
include the days we sell raffle tickets?
No. Gambling activity refers to the actual time gambling takes place. In the case of an exempt raffle, the gambling activity is when the actual winning tickets are drawn. An exempt organization may sell tickets in advance of the raffle date as long as the tickets are in compliance with statute and rule.
11) Are there any special requirements for awarding a prize, such as a car, an ATV, or a shotgun, which
require the payment of taxes or fees, or registration?
12) May we award as a raffle prize a raffle ticket for another raffle?
13) Is there a limit on the total value of prizes awarded for each drawing?
14) May we discount the raffle tickets?
Another set of raffle tickets is printed on blue paper with a ticket price of 6 for $5.
15) May we print our own raffle tickets?
Yes, you may print your own raffle tickets but you must have an invoice or documentation that states who printed the tickets, the number of tickets printed, the sequential numbers used, and selling price printed on the tickets.
16) Are we required to post house rules for our raffle?
17) What information must house rules contain?
18) Are there any restrictions on how we may spend our raffle proceeds?
19) What kind of alternative raffles may we conduct?
20) May we conduct a NASCAR board raffle?
21) May we conduct an early bird drawing?
22) What do we do if we've lost raffle tickets?
23) Do we have to keep any raffle records? What about bingo records?
24) May we conduct bingo at our nursing home or senior citizen home?
25) May we borrow a bingo number selection device and hard cards from a licensed organization to conduct
our permitted event?
26) How do I destroy pull-tabs, raffle tickets, and other gambling records?
27) Does our high school need a license to hold a raffle?
© Copyright 2015 Minnesota Gambling Control Board * An equal opportunity employer