Minnesota Gambling Control Board
1711 West County Road B, Suite 300 South
Roseville, Minnesota  55113

The five forms of lawful gambling are
raffles, bingo, pull-tabs, tipboards, and paddlewheels.

Fundraising Events

To return to the Minnesota Gambling Control Board home page, click here.






Effective May 26, 2015, the application fee for non-profit organizations wishing to conduct lawful gambling activities governed by Minnesota Statute 349.166 has changed to $100 per event for all permits issued for an effective date of July 1, 2015 or later.  Minnesota Statute 349.166 Subdivision 2 (3). 



If you are a nonprofit organization, click here for permit information. Only nonprofit organizations may conduct raffles, bingo, and other forms of lawful gambling according to Minnesota law. 


If you are not a nonprofit organization, read the Frequently Asked Questions below for fundraising options.

Frequently Asked Questions.

1.  Fundraising options.

2.  Raffle to help friend pay for medical bills.

3.  Examples of nonprofit organizations to contact.

4.  Walk-a-thon pledges.

5.  Awarding door prizes.


1.  We are not a nonprofit organization and understand that we are not eligible to conduct a raffle.  What other fundraising options do we have?

Because raffles may not be conducted by individuals, we suggest the following fundraising alternatives:

  • silent auction;

  • spaghetti or pork chop dinner;

  • pancake breakfast;

  • car wash;

  • community garage sale, and so on.

Check with your local unit of government (city, township, or county) regarding any requirements for those types of activities.

2.  We want to conduct a raffle to help a friend pay for medical bills.  Are we allowed to conduct a raffle for that purpose?

No.  According to Minnesota law, raffles may only be conducted by nonprofit organizations.  We suggest the fundraising alternatives mentioned above.  Or, you might want to contact a local nonprofit organization in your community and ask them to conduct a raffle and donate the proceeds to the person in need.

3.  What type of nonprofit organization could we contact to conduct a benefit raffle for our friend in need?

You could contact nonprofit organizations that include:

  • Elks, Eagles and Auxiliary, Moose, and Knights of Columbus;

  • Churches;

  • American Legion or VFW and their auxiliaries; and

  • Other nonprofit organizations such as Lions Clubs; Jaycees; associations for fire relief, hockey, baseball, athletic, snowmobile, rod and gun, and sportsmen; and community and business/chamber groups.

4.  A group of my friends are making pledges for a fundraiser sponsored by a nonprofit organization.  We want to conduct a raffle or bingo to raise money to help pay for our walk-a-thon pledges.  Are we allowed to conduct a raffle or bingo for that purpose?

No.   For walk-a-thons, bike-a-thons, Relay for Life® and other similar fundraising activities conducted by nonprofit organizations, pledges may not be paid for or made from raffle, bingo, or other charitable gambling proceeds. The reason why...according to Minnesota law, charitable gambling, which includes raffles, bingo, pull-tabs, tipboards, and paddlewheels, may only be conducted by nonprofit organizations.

5.  We will award door prizes at our fundraising event. Do we need a permit?

It depends.  For example, if a person is required to purchase a spaghetti dinner or give a food donation for a food shelf to be eligible in a drawing for a door prize, then the drawing activity is considered a raffle.  REMINDER: Only nonprofit organizations may conduct a raffle.

We would recommend instead that you offer the chance to win door prizes to anyone without requiring a purchase or contribution.  Then the drawing would not be considered a raffle and no raffle permit would be required.

QUESTIONS?   If you have questions, call or email the Licensing Specialist assigned to your county.

To return to the Minnesota Gambling Control Board home, click here.