License Minnesota

Permit to Purchase/Transfer a Handgun

Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA)

Agency contact information:

Public Safety (DPS), Minnesota Department of
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 201-7000 | (651) 282-6555 (TTY)
Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA)
1430 Maryland Ave. East, St. Paul, MN 55106 | (651) 793-7000 (24 Hours)
Contact Info:


Permit to Purchase / Transfer


The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) is responsible for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement, Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), Emergency Communication Networks, Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Office of Justice Programs, State Fire Marshal, Pipeline Safety, State Highway Patrol, Capitol Security and Traffic Safety.


Minn. Stats. 624.7131


Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application/Receipt Permit to Purchase/Transfer 

Application form is available on the MN Dept. of Public Safety website,  Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) section at Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application/Receipt Permit to Purchase/Transfer.


Handgun Purchases or Transfers

Under Minnesota law, handgun transfers involve any sale, gift, loan, assignment or other delivery to another person. If you possess a valid permit to carry a handgun, that permit constitutes a permit to purchase. A person with valid permit to carry does not need to apply for a separate permit to purchase.

There are three options for individuals wishing to purchase or transfer a handgun.

1. You may apply for a permit to purchase/transfer a handgun in Minnesota.

Click on the link Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application/Receipt Permit to Purchase/Transfer  to download or print a copy.

Once you have completed the application, you must submit it to your local police chief or the local sheriff if the municipality you live in does not have a police department. (Note: if you are applying for the permit to transfer, the law enforcement agency has seven (7) days from the time it receives your application to notify you of its status.) The law enforcement agency will conduct a series of background-related checks to assure you meet the eligibility requirements established in state law. Once those checks are complete, a permit will be issued that is valid for one year and may be used to purchase a handgun statewide.

2. If you agree to purchase a handgun from someone and you have not obtained a permit to purchase, the individual selling or transferring the handgun to you must report the potential transaction to either the local police department or the sheriff’s office if there is no police department in the municipality where you live. Once the law enforcement agency receives the transfer/purchase agreement, the agency has five days to determine whether you are eligible to possess a handgun.

3. If you want to make a one-time purchase of a handgun from a dealer, and you do not have a permit to purchase, you may apply directly at the gun shop where you will purchase the handgun. The gun shop will require you to complete a consent form that allows them to conduct a name and date-of-birth background check to determine your eligibility to purchase a gun. The gun shops are entitled to charge a fee for this service.


Permit to Purchase/Transfer

Permit to Carry FAQs

Curios/Relics Registration

Period of Issuance:

One year.

Length of Determination Process:

Review the information in the Requirements section.