License Minnesota

Residential Building Contractor/Remodeler

The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) requires licensure for all residential building contractors and residential remodelers who contract with a homeowner to construct or improve dwellings by offering more than one special skill. Owners working on their own property must also be licensed if they build or remodel for the sole purpose of speculation or resale.

Agency contact information:

Labor and Industry (DLI), Minnesota Department of
443 Lafayette Road N.
St. Paul, MN 55155
(651) 284-5005 | (800) 342-5354
Construction Codes and Licensing Division (CCLD)
Licensing and Certification Services
(651) 284-5034
Contact Info: Licensing and Certification Services


Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry

Residential Building Contractor

Check the status of a license/certificate/registration/bond

Online Payment Center

The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) oversees the state's apprenticeship, construction codes and licensing, occupational safety and health, wage and hour standards and workers' compensation programs and the Office of Combative Sports.


Minn. Stats. 326B.802




Residential Building Contractor/Remodeler License Packet -- NEW LICENSE/BUSINESS STRUCTURE CHANGE

Residential Building Contractor / Residential Remodeler License Renewal Packet

Certificate of Exemption Application and Renewal Packet 

Residential building and remodeler contractor license renewal instructions 

Residential Contractor Exam Application for Qualifying Person 

Change of Qualifying Person Designation packet 

Criminal Background Check Form 

Background Disclosure Form 

Disclosure of business owners, partners, officers and members 

Certificate of insurance covering general liability and property damage

Certificate of compliance - Minnesota Workers' Compensation law 

License information application forms are available on the MN Dept. of Labor and Industry (DLI) website, Construction Codes and Licensing Division (CCLD) Residential Building Contractor section at Building contractor and remodeler license application

See also Residential contractor license renewal FAQ and common mistakes


Licensing requirements for a building contractor license:

  1. Completed Residential Building Contractor or Remodeler License Application.

  2. License fee, plus the appropriate Contractor Recovery Fund fee (see chart below. Please note: Fees cannot be prorated for licenses issued for a portion of the license period. The fee is the same no matter when a license is obtained during the 24-month license period.

  3. Attach a copy of: the articles of incorporation, filed and stamped by the Minnesota Secretary of State; the partnership agreement, signed by all partners; or other business organization documents.

  4. Attach a completed Disclosure of Owners, Partners, Officers form, providing names and addresses of all officers, directors, shareholders, partners or employees who exercise management or policy control in the company.

  5. Attach a completed Bureau of Criminal Apprehension Criminal Background Check form for each individual listed on the Disclosure of Owners, Partners, Officers form.

  6. Attach a copy of the Certificate of Assumed Name, filed and stamped by the Minnesota Secretary of State, if the business name is different than the legal name of the individual, corporation or other business entity. Information about filing for a Certificate of Assumed Name may be obtained from the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State (SOS) online at, by mail at Retirement Systems of Minnesota Building, 60 Empire Drive, Suite 100, St. Paul, MN 55103 or by telephone at (651) 296-2803. For example:
    • an individual proprietor who intends to do business using a company name that does not include the individual's first and last name;
    • a partnership that intends to do business using a name that does not include the first and last name of each individual partner; or
    • a corporation or other business entity that intends to do business under a name that is not the legal corporate name or business entity name.
      • Examples: "John Smith Construction" would not be required to attach a Certificate of Assumed Name if John Smith is the sole owner of the business. However, "Smith's Construction" would be required to attach the certificate, because it does not contain the full first and last name of the owner. Similarly, if a legally incorporated company, such as "ABC Construction, Inc.," intends to do business as Acme Construction, the company must attach a Certificate of Assumed Name to the license application. The Certificate of Assumed Name is required to provide information to the public about the true identity of the business owner.

  7. Attach all required Certificates of Insurance. (The legal name and any assumed name must appear in the "Insured Name" section of the certificate.) The "Certificate Holder" section of the Certificate of Insurance must indicate: Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry, 443 Lafayette Road N., St. Paul, MN 55155.
    • Liability insurance with limits of at least $300,000 per occurrence, which must include at least $10,000 property damage coverage.
    • Minnesota workers' compensation insurance certificate or a written explanation of why the applicant is exempt from workers' compensation requirements. Applicants who have no employees and have no intention of hiring employees (other than spouse, parent or child) during the next year should attach a written statement with the license application explaining the specific reason they are exempt. If applicant is uncertain whether workers' compensation insurance is required for your business, contact the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry at (651) 284-5005.
    • Unemployment insurance or a written explanation of why the applicant is exempt from unemployment insurance requirements. If the applicant is uncertain whether unemployment insurance is required, contact the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development at (651) 296-6141.

  8. Attach a completed Qualifying Person Designation Form. Each licensee must designate an individual to act as the licensee’s qualifying person. This individual must have passed a pre-licensing exam administered by DLI. Examination results expire after two years. The qualifying person must be chief executive officer of the corporation, general partner of the partnership, chief manager of the LLC or a managing employee who is regularly employed by the applicant and is actively engaged in the business of residential contracting or residential remodeling on behalf of the applicant.

  9. Attach a completed Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) Criminal Background Check form.

Also refer to

Who needs a license?


Residential contractor license renewal FAQs and common mistakes


New license, certification and registration fees effective July 1, 2015

Period of Issuance:

The license period for residential building contractors, remodelers and roofers is April 1 through March 31 each year. All licenses expire March 31 of each year, even if the license was issued for only a part of the license period. To maintain an active license, all licenses must be renewed by March 31 each year, whether the license was issued for all or a portion of the license period.

Length of Determination Process:

30 days.

Other Pertinent Information:

See Minn. Stat. § 326B.802-.89.

The licensing program requires only companies to obtain a license (therefore, in the case of an individual, the license is issued to an "individual proprietorship"). Each company, however, must designate one individual who will serve as a "Qualifying Person" regardless of whether the licensee is an individual proprietorship, partnership or corporation. The Qualifying Person is the individual who must take the required examination and fulfill the continuing education requirements for the licensee.

Also review the DLI information, Construction Contractor Registration