Wells and Borings: Dewatering Well Contractor License
Agency contact information:
Health (MDH), Minnesota Department of
625 Robert St. N.
P.O. Box 64975
St. Paul, MN 55164-0975
(651) 201-5000 | (888) 345-0823 (MN toll free)
Well Management Section Central Office
(651) 201-4600 | (800) 383-9808 | (651) 201-5797 (TTY)
Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Minnesota Department of Health is the state's lead public health agency, responsible for protecting, maintaining and improving the health of all Minnesotans.
Minn. Stats. 103I.101
Qualification Application (to document experience)
License - Original/Renewal Application
Representative Certification - Original/Renewal Application
Application forms are available on the MN Dept. of Health (MDH) website, Well Management section at Well Management Licensing Applications and Registration.
Qualification Application (document experience):
- 2 years of experience (5 dewatering wells/yr, 500 hours/yr).
- pass a written exam (given at any district office).
Licensing (original) and renewals:
- provide a $10,000 corporate surety bond,
- register drilling machines and pump hoists,
- provide worker's comp. insurance info.,
- provide tax ID info. (original license only),
- document 2 contact hours of MDH continuing education (renewals only),
- submit records for work completed in previous year (renewals only).
Qualification Application - $75
Certified Representative Renewal Application - $75
Original License / Renewal - $75
Office of Enterprise Technology (OET) Surcharge - $7.50
Registration of Pump Hoists and Drilling Machines - $75 each
Licensing surcharge to be assessed
The Minnesota Legislature passed legislation requiring a 10% surcharge of no less than $5 and no more than $150 on each business, commercial, professional or occupational license. The funding from this surcharge will go to MN.IT Services (formerly Office of Enterprise Technology (OET)), which is establishing an electronic licensing system for the state. The surcharge will be in place through June 30, 2015. See Minn. Stat. § 16E.22.
Period of Issuance:
Annual (February 1 - January 31).
Length of Determination Process:
Variable, depending on adequacy of documentation, identification of problems during application review, results of examination, and problems obtaining a bond. Typically, within 3 months of qualification application submittal.
Other Pertinent Information:
The MDH actually licenses the company. The individual, who must meet the experience and exam requirements, serves as the certified representative.