License Minnesota

License to Cross Public Lands and Waters

Minnesota law requires that a license be obtained from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) for the passage of any utility over, under or across any state land or public waters. Public waters are any water bodies (lakes, rivers and some wetlands) identified as such on the Public Waters and Wetlands Maps.

Agency contact information:

Natural Resources (DNR), Minnesota Department of
500 Lafayette Rd.
St. Paul, MN 55155
(651) 296-6157 | (888) 646-6367 | (651) 296-5484 (TTY) | (800) 657-3929 (TTY)
Lands and Minerals Division
Assistant Director
500 Lafayette Rd., Box 45, St. Paul, MN 55155-4045 | (651) 259-5959
(651) 297-3517 (fax)


Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Lands and Minerals

DNR Mobile Apps

Social Media Page

Photobucket Photobucket

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) manages the state's natural resources. Hunting, fishing, state forests and parks, lakes, rivers and streams, boating and water safety, trails, snowmobiling, skiing, education, enforcement, wildlife management, lands and minerals are managed by the DNR.


Minn. Stats. 84.415


Minnesota Rules 6135.


Application for License to Cross Public Lands and Waters

This form is available on the MN Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR) website, Division of Lands & Minerals section at Utility lines & roads crossing state land or public waters.


For the installation of utility services (as defined in statute) across DNR administered land and public waters, a license is required.

Applicant must identify the land corridor and water crossing sites into which the utility will be installed.

Upon issuance, the license gives the licensee the authority to install, maintain, repair and replace the utility service within the specified corridor. Licenses must be issued in the name of the company or unit of government providing the utility service.


Application fee of $2,250 for a water crossing license and $3,500 for a public land crossing license must accompany the license application. There's also monitoring fee to cover monitoring the construction of the utility line and prepare special terms and conditions of the license.

In addition, there is a license fee are based on the length and width of the requested crossing. License fee tables are found in Minn. Rules 6135.

Period of Issuance:

25 or 50 years; applicant decides which they want.

Length of Determination Process:

Approximately 3 to 12 weeks.