License Minnesota

Plumbing Contractor

Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI)

Agency contact information:

Labor and Industry (DLI), Minnesota Department of
443 Lafayette Road N.
St. Paul, MN 55155
(651) 284-5005 | (800) 342-5354
Construction Codes and Licensing Division (CCLD)
Licensing and Certification Services
(651) 284-5034
Contact Info: Licensing and Certification Services


Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry

Plumbing contractor licensing 


Check the status of a license/certificate/registration/bond

Online Payment Center

The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) oversees the state's apprenticeship, construction codes and licensing, occupational safety and health, wage and hour standards and workers' compensation programs and the Office of Combative Sports.


Minn. Stats. 326B.46




Plumbing Contractor License Application Packet

Plumbing Contractor License Renewal Forms

Applications forms are available on the MN Dept. of Labor and Industry (DLI) website, Construction Codes and Licensing Division (CCLD), Plumbing section at Plumbing applications and forms.


DLI licenses individuals and businesses that perform or offer to perform plumbing work, with or without compensation, as a licensed plumbing contractor or licensed restricted plumbing contractor. Master plumbers and restricted master plumbers will no longer "hold" the license for a plumbing contractor, but rather will be the "responsible master" for the contractor. The plumbing contractor, as a business entity, shall "hold" the license for itself.

The Minnesota legislature made this change to align regulation of plumbing contractors with that of electrical contractors, high-pressure-piping contractors, elevator contractors, residential roofers, technology system contractors and residential building contractors. The law clarifies that business entities contracting to perform plumbing work shall be directly accountable for their business actions as a contractor.

Licensure of Plumbing Contractors

Although plumbing contractors have been filing bonds and liability insurance with DLI and the Department of Health for many years, they have been doing it on behalf of their master plumber. A plumbing contractor's license was actually the master plumber's license, not the business' license. The Minnesota legislature shifted this responsibility to the plumbing contractor as a business entity rather than leave it with the master plumber. 

Information currently  provided by plumbing contractors  when filing a bond and liability insurance has not changed. This information includes:

  • Contractor name, address information, contact information
  • Federal and State business, employer, and tax identification numbers
  • Business name filing(s) with the Minnesota Secretary of State
  • Business Disclosure of Owners, Partners, Officers, or Members
  • Responsible Licensed Master Plumber or Restricted Master Plumber
  • Plumbing Contractor Code Compliance Bond
  • Certificate of Liability Insurance
  • Certificate of Compliance with Minnesota Workers' Compensation Laws

The primary differences plumbing contractors will experience in 2012 are:

  • License Number.  Each licensed plumbing contractor will be issued a license number that will remain with the licensed business entity so long as it remains licensed. This will eliminate use of the master plumber's license as the plumbing contractor's number.
  • Responsible Licensed Plumber.  Each licensed plumbing contractor will designate a master plumber or restricted master plumber as its "responsible licensed plumber." This individual must have a current, active master license and be responsible for the contractor's compliance with Minnesota's plumbing laws and code. Referenced below in the summary table are the restrictions on who may be the responsible licensed plumber for a plumbing contractor. 
  • Bond.  Each licensed plumbing contractor must submit a Plumbing Contractor Code Compliance Bond.

Master Plumber
Licensed master plumbers and restricted master plumbers retain their importance at ensuring compliance with Minnesota's Plumbing Code despite the shift to licensing business entities as plumbing contractors. All plumbing contractors that perform or offer to perform plumbing work must designate, in writing to the department, their licensed master plumber or licensed restricted master plumber. A plumbing contractor's license is only valid when there is an active, licensed master plumber or restricted master plumber associated with the plumbing contractor. A significant reduction in master plumber license fees were also made by the legislature in recognition of this shift from master plumber as plumbing contractor to business entity as plumbing contractor.

Responsible Licensed Plumber

By law, a responsible licensed plumber must be an owner, partner, officer, or managing employee of the business entity licensed as a plumbing contractor. The table below summarizes who may be designated the responsible licensed plumber for six different business types that may perform or offer to perform plumbing work. If a managing employee is designated the responsible licensed plumber for a licensed plumbing contractor, the licensed plumber must be actively engaged in performing plumbing work on behalf of the contractor, and cannot be employed in any capacity as a plumber for any other contractor. An individual may be the responsible licensed plumber for only one contractor.

Responsible Licensed Plumber by Contractor Business Type:


Responsible Licensed Plumber

Contractor Business Entity




General Partner

Chief Member

Managing Employee

Individual (sole) Proprietorship





















Limited Liability Company







Limited Liability Partnership














Exemptions from Contractor License
State law provides limited exemptions to the plumbing contractor license requirement. Individuals without a contractor license may do plumbing work on their residence that they own and occupy. Organizations that use their own employees to maintain and repair plumbing equipment, apparatus, or facilities on their owned or leased property, within the limits of the property they own and lease, and that they operate or maintain will be exempt. This exemption, however, requires organizations to register their responsible licensed plumber every two years before its employees may perform plumbing work. The two-year registration fee for filing a certificate of licensed plumber will be $100.


Plumbing contractor:  a person who may contract to perform or offer to perform plumbing work in all areas of the state provided the contractor has at all times a licensed master plumber as a responsible individual and maintains compliance with the required bond, general liability insurance and workers' compensation insurance requirements (Minn. Stat. § 326B.46). Person is defined as an individual proprietor, partnership, corporation, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, limited partnership or any other legal entity. 


Payment of license fee

Minnesota Secretary of State (SOS) Registration / Assumed Name Verification
Verification may be available by completing an entity search on line at the Secretary of State website or you may contact the MN Secretary of State to request verification at (651) 296-2803. If your business entity and assumed name, if applicable, must be registered, then the status of your registration(s) must be ACTIVE. (NOTE: No SOS registration is necessary for an individual proprietorship/partnership operating under their full legal name(s)) Missing or incomplete verifications will cause the application to be deficient and delay processing.

Plumbing Contractor/Restricted Plumbing Contractor Application Form
The application form must be complete and signed. All information requested on the application form must be provided and complete. Incomplete applications will be deficient and delay processing.

Disclosure of Business Owners, Partners, Officers and Members Form
All owners, partners, shareholders, and members owning more than 10 percent in the business must be disclosed. Key officers responsible for the day-to-day operations of the business entity being licensed, certified, or registered must be disclosed. A missing or incomplete disclosure will cause the application to be deficient and delay processing.

Plumbing Contractor code Compliance Bond/SSTS Business License Surety Bond
Must be the original bond form issued, signed, sealed and notarized by the Surety Company and must also be accompanied by the Power of Attorney Form. A missing, incomplete or inaccurate bond will cause the application to be deficient and delay processing.

Certificate of Liability Insurance
Obtain from your insurance agent a certificate of liability insurance that provides evidence that your business has general liability insurance coverage meeting the minimum statutory requirements. Acceptable forms are the ACORD 25 (2010/05) Certificate of Liability Insurance or a DLI form that can be found online at Certificates of insurance. The certificate must show the legal business entity as the insured. If using an assumed name, the certificate must show the insured as the legal business entity’s assumed name. A missing, incomplete or inaccurate certificate of liability insurance will cause the application to be deficient and delay processing.

Workers' Compensation Certification of Compliance Form
All applicants must provide evidence of compliance with Minnesota’s workers’ compensation insurance requirement. You may provide a certificate of insurance showing your business is covered by workers’ compensation insurance. Or, you may complete and submit the department’s Certificate of Compliance with Minnesota’s Workers’ Compensation Laws, which is available online at Workers' compensation certificate of compliance. Applicants claiming exemption from workers’ compensation insurance coverage must complete the certificate of compliance form in its entirety and sign the form. A missing, incomplete or inaccurate certificate will cause the application to be deficient and delay processing.

Certificate of Responsible Licensed Individual (Master Plumber or Restricted Master Plumber)
All applicants must designate a responsible licensed individual who shall be responsible for the performance of all plumbing work in accordance with Minn. Stat. § 326B.41-.49, all rules adopted under these sections and Minn. Stat. § 326B.50-.59 as well as all orders issued under Minn. Stat. § 326B.082. The licensed master plumber or restricted master plumber completes and signs the Certificate of Responsible Licensed Individual, which validates the designation made in the application form. A missing, incomplete, or inaccurate certificate will cause the application to be deficient and delay processing.


New license, certification and registration fees effective July 1, 2015

Period of Issuance:

Plumber Licenses: All plumber licenses expire on December 31st.

Other Pertinent Information:

See Minn. Stat. § 326.40, subd. 2.