License Minnesota

Miscellaneous Work On Trunk Highway Right Of Way

Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)

Agency contact information:

Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
395 John Ireland Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55155-1899
(800) 657-3774 | (800) 627-3529
Utility Agreements and Permits Unit
395 John Ireland Blvd., Mail Stop 678, St. Paul, MN 55155-1899 | (651) 366-4668


Minnesota Department of Transportation

Utility Agreements & Permits

Social Media Links

The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) provides a balanced transportation system. Responsible areas include aeronautics, highways, motor carriers, ports, public transit, railroads and pipelines.


Minn. Stats. 161.45


MINNESOTA RULES 8810.3100 - 8810.3600


Application for Miscellaneous Work On Trunk Highway Right-of-Way Form 1723 (Form 1723 is used for short-sided services, down guys and anchors, temporary obstructions, and permission to maintain utilities)

The application is available on the MN Dept. of Transportation (MnDOT) website, Utility Agreements & Permits section at Permit information and Forms.

Permits are processed in the district offices. Refer to Utility Agreements and Permits Contacts.


Complete each item on the application. If an item does not apply, print N.A. in the blank.

Provide a detailed location of proposed work and give reference to nearest cross street of roadway.

Include plans or proposed work along with: detailed drawings showing type and location of work, detail any type of traffic interference this work may require and if work includes a utility indicate type, kind and size of utility to be placed.

After the application has been completed signed and dated, mail the application with the required plans to the above address marked to the attention of the District Permits Office. See Utility Agreements and Permits Contacts.

After the permit has been approved, the applicant will be notified by letter of the amount of the deposit required. Upon receipt of proper deposit (Cashier's or Certified Check, Money Order, or Surety Bond - No personal checks or company checks) the permit will be issued. The permits will have special provisions indicating the construction requirements. Read and observe these provisions during construction operations.

After construction has been completed and all turf items re-established, the applicant must notify the permit office for final inspection. If all work is satisfactory, the deposit will be returned to the applicant via certified mail.

A surety bond is usually required and retained for one or two years after installation. Wording for bonding (individual or continuing) is available on the department website at Permit information and Forms.

MnDOT accommodation of utilities on highway right of way shall be followed. Refer to the Utility Agreements and Permits Policy and Guidance.


Variable deposit fee.

Length of Determination Process:

Length of processing time for the permit varies, depending on the type and scope of proposed work.

Other Pertinent Information: