License Minnesota

Temporary Possession of a Gambling Device

Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS)

Agency contact information:

Public Safety (DPS), Minnesota Department of
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 201-7000 | (651) 282-6555 (TTY)
Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement Division
445 Minnesota St., Suite 122, St. Paul, MN 55101-2156 | (651) 201-7529
(651) 297-5259 (fax)


Minnesota Department of Public Safety

Alcohol & Gambling Enforcement Division

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) is responsible for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement, Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), Emergency Communication Networks, Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Office of Justice Programs, State Fire Marshal, Pipeline Safety, State Highway Patrol, Capitol Security and Traffic Safety.


Minn. Stats. 299L.08


Temporary Permit Application form


Permit to be used by those persons not licensed by the division to display gambling devices at trade shows or conventions.

People seeking the permit must apply on form provided by the division.

Applicant must be registered with the US Dept. of Justice and in compliance with USC Title 15 1171 - 1178.

Permit expires 72 hours after close of trade show or convention.


Event - $100

Licensing surcharge to be assessed

The Minnesota Legislature passed legislation requiring a 10% surcharge of no less than $5 and no more than $150 on each business, commercial, professional or occupational license. The funding from this surcharge will go to MN.IT Services (formerly Office of Enterprise Technology (OET)), which is establishing an electronic licensing system for the state. The surcharge will be in place through June 30, 2015. See Minn. Stat. §16E.22.

Period of Issuance:

Dates of event, plus 72 hours.

Length of Determination Process:

Immediate upon receipt of application fee and certification of federal registration.