Residential Mortgage Loan Originator License
Agency contact information:
Commerce, Minnesota Department of
85 7th Place East, Suite 500
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 539-1600 | (800) 857-3602
Division of Financial Institutions
(651) 539-1548 (fax)
Contact Info: Robin Brown
The Minnesota Department of Commerce is the chief regulator for the banking, energy, insurance, real estate, securities, telecommunications industries and also operates Minnesota's Unclaimed Property.
Minn. Stats. 58A
Online Residential Mortgage Loan Originator Application (Form MU4)
Electronic application available at NMLS (Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System).
An applicant for a residential mortgage loan originator license must meet the following requirements in order to obtain a license:
· Passing score on both the National and Minnesota SAFE Test
· Fingerprints for an FBI criminal history background check
· Authorization for a credit report
· Sponsorship by a licensed mortgage originator company
· A valid unique identifier issued by the NMLS.
Commissioner's Criminal Conviction Consent Application if needed. See Minn.Stat. § 58.125 for an explanation.
The Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System & Registry has available:
Testing (you must have a score of 75% or higher to pass both the National and State components)
Mortgage loan originator - $90 initial
Renewal - $50
Period of Issuance:
January 1 to December 31.
Length of Determination Process: