License Minnesota

Registration of Exploratory Borer

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR)

Agency contact information:

Natural Resources (DNR), Minnesota Department of
500 Lafayette Rd.
St. Paul, MN 55155
(651) 296-6157 | (888) 646-6367 | (651) 296-5484 (TTY) | (800) 657-3929 (TTY)
Lands and Minerals Division
Mineral Potential Section -1525 3rd Ave. E., Hibbing, MN 55766
(218) 231-8484 | (218)262-7328


Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Division of Lands and Minerals

DNR Mobile Apps

Social Media Page

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) manages the state's natural resources. Hunting, fishing, state forests and parks, lakes, rivers and streams, boating and water safety, trails, snowmobiling, skiing, education, enforcement, wildlife management, lands and minerals are managed by the DNR.


Minn. Stats. 103I.601


Contact the Lands and Minerals Division for an "Application for Registration of an Explorer Engaged in Exploratory Boring."


Any person proposing to conduct exploratory drilling for metallic minerals, kaolin clay, oil, gas, or petroleum, on any land in the state, must be registered with the Department of Natural Resources.

The registration must be renewed annually.

The party overseeing or supervising the boring must also be licensed by the Department of Health under Minn. Stat. § 103I.601.


No fee for registration. The commissioner is authorized to require a bond, security or other financial assurance from the explorer to assure compliance with the requirements of the law.

Period of Issuance:

One year.

Length of Determination Process:

If a new registrant, one week, upon receipt of requested information. (If a new registration, background information is requested to determine if financial assurance is needed.) A renewal will be handled within a few days.

Other Pertinent Information:

A short information sheet may also be obtained from the Lands and Minerals Division.