Protective Agent Services License
Agency contact information:
Public Safety (DPS), Minnesota Department of
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 201-7000 | (651) 282-6555 (TTY)
Private Detective and Protective Agent Services, Minnesota Board of
1430 Maryland Avenue E., St. Paul, MN 55106 | (651) 793-2666 | (651) 282-6555 (TTYL)
(651) 793-7065 (fax)
Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) is responsible for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement, Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), Emergency Communication Networks, Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Office of Justice Programs, State Fire Marshal, Pipeline Safety, State Highway Patrol, Capitol Security and Traffic Safety.
Minn. Stats. 326.32
Individual, Partnership, Limited Liability Partnership (LLP), Limited Liability Company (LLC), or Corporate/LLC application packet.
1. Meet statute specified qualification requirements for license.
2. Each person signing the application must be at least 18 years of age.
3. Each person must have a record free of felony convictions, and no record of conviction for offenses stipulated in statute.
4. The applicant must supply a $10,000 Surety Bond (protective agent for fee) at the time of application.
5. The applicant must supply Proof of Financial Responsibility at the time of application (see Statute for options available).
6. Complete required application materials and supporting documents.
7. Be of good character, honesty and integrity.
Refer to the Board of Private Detective and Protective Agent Services website, General Licensing Information.
Protective Agent Services License Fees
*There is a $25 non-refundable fee for an application packet.
Temporary military license - $800
|1 to 10 Employees||$650|
|11 to 25 Employees||$820|
|26 to 50 Employees||$990|
|51 or more Employees||$1,160|
Licensing surcharge to be assessed
The Minnesota Legislature passed legislation requiring a 10% surcharge of no less than $5 and no more than $150 on each business, commercial, professional or occupational license. The funding from this surcharge will go to MN.IT Services (formerly Office of Enterprise Technology (OET)), which is establishing an electronic licensing system for the state. The surcharge will be in place through June 30, 2015. See Minn. Stat. §16E.22.
Period of Issuance:
Length of Determination Process:
Can vary, please contact the board office.
Other Pertinent Information:
See Minn. Stats. §§ 326.32-.339,
, Subd. 4 (for explanation of Protective Agent services.)
Mandatory training requirements have been implemented for license holders and their employees. For information regarding mandatory training please check the board's website or contact the board office directly.
Note - Currently the purpose of the website is to relay general information and mandatory training requirements for license holders and their employees. The site will be expanded in the future to include other program materials.