License Minnesota

Drive-Away / In-transit License

Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS)

Agency contact information:

Public Safety (DPS), Minnesota Department of
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 201-7000 | (651) 282-6555 (TTY)
Dealer Unit
445 Minnesota St., Suite 186, St. Paul, MN 55101-5186 | (651) 201-7800 | (651) 282-6555 (TTY)
(651) 297-1480 (fax)
Contact Info:


Minnesota Department of Public Safety

Driver & Vehicle Services

Dealership Lookup

Online Services

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) is responsible for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement, Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), Emergency Communication Networks, Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Office of Justice Programs, State Fire Marshal, Pipeline Safety, State Highway Patrol, Capitol Security and Traffic Safety.


Minn. Stats. 168.053


Drive-Away / In Transit License

Application forms are available on the MN Dept. of Public Safety website, Driver and Vehicle Services, Forms/Documents/Manuals section, at Motor Vehicle Dealer Forms.


Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance (Minn. Stat. § 168.054) as verified by a certified insurance policy endorsement form.

Contact the Dealer Unit for full information.


Business License Fee, Annual (includes one Drive-away plate) - $250 

Plate Fees - $15 each

All fees may be subject to an additional fees. Contact the Dealer Unit for fee information.

Period of Issuance:

Twelve month license issued for calendar year - always expiring December 31.

Other Pertinent Information:

Licenses are only issued to businesses located in Minnesota.

For additional information, contact:
Driver and Vehicle Services
Dealers Unit
445 Minnesota St., Suite 186
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 201-7800 
(651) 282-6555 (TTY)