Firearms Training Certification
Agency contact information:
Public Safety (DPS), Minnesota Department of
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 201-7000 | (651) 282-6555 (TTY)
Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA)
1430 Maryland Ave. East, St. Paul, MN 55106 | (651) 793-7000 (24 Hours)
Contact Info: Christina Martin
The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) is responsible for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement, Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), Emergency Communication Networks, Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Office of Justice Programs, State Fire Marshal, Pipeline Safety, State Highway Patrol, Capitol Security and Traffic Safety.
Minn. Stats. 624.714
Application for Approval to Certify Firearms Instructors
Application form is also available on the MN Dept. of Public Safety website, Bureau of Criminal Apprehension section, at Instructor Certification.
Minn. Stat. § 624.714, subd. 2a(d) provides that a person qualifies as a certified instructor if the person is certified as a firearms instructor within the past five (5) years by an organization or government entity that has been approved by the Department of Public Safety in accordance with the department's standards.
Organization Certification Requirements
To qualify for Department of Public Safety approval as an organization authorized to certify instructors, the organization or government entity must meet and maintain the following requirements:
1. Register the business organization with the Minnesota Secretary of State's Office and provide a stamped copy of proof of filing to MN Dept. of Public Safety (Government entities excluded),
2. Maintain instructor records adequate to verify training;
3. Maintain proficiency of instruction (including legal updates) and ensure the instructional practices and integrity of instructors;
4. Provide the curriculum used to train instructors that demonstrates that the certified instructors will be able to teach the basic training requirements for applicants for permits to carry required by Minn. Stat. § 624.714, subd. a;
5. Organizations must be approved by the Department of Public Safety every five (5) years.
Instructor Certification Requirements
Approved organizations and government entities may grant instructor certificates to individuals who have been certified within the last five (5) years in accordance with the Department of Public Safety's standards and have received training in a course or courses, that at a minimum contained:
1. Instruction in the fundamentals of pistol use including mechanical knowledge of handguns, and safe practices in shooting, loading, unloading, clearing firearm malfunctions, safe storage and firearm care;
2. Successful completion of an actual shooting qualification exercise and the ability to evaluate shooting proficiency and safe weapon skills of students in a practical firearm shooting exercise;
3. Instruction in the legal aspects of pistol possession, carry, and use, including self-defense and the restrictions on the use of deadly force. This should also include the psychological and physiological effects of a violent threat encounter and simple weapon retention techniques;
4. Instruction on how to maintain records of students seeking a permit to carry a firearm. Letter from employer verifying employment status.
See the Instructor Certification section of the BCA website for organization requirements, instructor requirements, business organizations approved to train instructors.
Refer also to these information links :