Financial Counselor or Planner Disclosure Document
Agency contact information:
Commerce, Minnesota Department of
85 7th Place East, Suite 500
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 539-1600 | (800) 857-3602
Securities Registration - Investment Adviser: (651) 539-1638
Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Minnesota Department of Commerce is the chief regulator for the banking, energy, insurance, real estate, securities, telecommunications industries and also operates Minnesota's Unclaimed Property.
MINNESOTA RULE 2876.
Minnesota currently does not license or regulate Financial Planners. However, if a Financial Planner provides specific investment recommendations for a fee, they may be required to be registered by the Department of Commerce as an Investment Advisers. Financial Planners may also be licensed as Broker Dealer and/or Insurance -Producers Resident or Insurance -Nonresident Producer.
In Minnesota, any Investment Adviser, insurance, real estate, or securities agent offering to provide you with financial planning services is required to provide you with a Financial Planning Disclosure document. It must contain the following:
1. How the adviser will be paid; commissions, fees, or both. "Commission only" advisers should offer as wide a variety of investment choices as "fee only" advisers.
2. The name and address of companies that supply financial services or products offered by the planner.
3. The name of the firms where the securities are held and traded.
4. The professional licenses held by the adviser.
5. The types of financial products (mutual funds, stocks, limited partnerships, etc.) that the adviser is authorized to sell.
Other Pertinent Information:
If Financial Planner is also offering insurance products they must be licensed as an Insurance Agent. To obtain information on insurance licensing requirements contact the Minnesota Department of Commerce, Licensing Division at (651) 539-1599.