License Minnesota

Drainage Permit

Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)

Agency contact information:

Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
395 John Ireland Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55155-1899
(800) 657-3774 | (800) 627-3529
Utility Agreements and Permits Unit
395 John Ireland Blvd., Mail Stop 678, St. Paul, MN 55155-1899 | (651) 366-4668


Utility Agreements and Permits

Social Media Links

The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) provides a balanced transportation system. Responsible areas include aeronautics, highways, motor carriers, ports, public transit, railroads and pipelines.


Minn. Stats. 103B.155




Application for Drainage Permit MN Dept. of Transportation (MnDOT) TP 30795-02 (6-2006)

The application is available on the MN Dept. of Transportation (MnDOT) website, Utility Agreements & Permits section at Permit Information and Forms.

District Contacts:

Metro District
Waters Edge Building
1500 W. County Road B2
Roseville, MN 55113-3174
(651) 366-4638

Outstate, contact the Department of Transportation Office in Duluth, Virginia, Bemidji, Crookston, Baxter, St Cloud, Detroit Lakes, Morris, Rochester, Owatonna, Mankato, Windom, Willmar, Marshall. See the Contacts.


-Legal description of the property (see property or tax statement)

-Plan of proposed work with:

. Drainage area map with original and final contours
. Drainage calculations showing rate of run off for existing
  conditions and proposed work
. Calculations for culvert, pond and pipe sizing, plan and
  profile of all proposed drainage structures
. Indicate water flow directions on drainage map
. Include calculations /details for special structures, etc.
. Indicate wetland impacts and mitigation when applicable
. Indicate temporary erosion control devices

Permit will also require local authority approval, such as Watersheds, Corps of Engineers or any other regulatory agency.

The permit will have special provisions indicating the required construction requirements.


No fee.

After the Drainage Permit has been approved, applicant will be notified of the amount of deposit, if any, required (cashier check, money order, or surety bond only)

If the construction operation is satisfactory, and the turf items re-established,the deposit will be returned to the applicant.

Period of Issuance:

1 year

Length of Determination Process:

30 days - but may vary due to complexity of the project.

Other Pertinent Information:

In some districts the requirements for the work determine which form needs to be completed. Short form 1723 is issued for repairs of utility or rebuilding structure (manholes, catch basins, etc) that are already in place. Form 1723 is issued out of the district maintenance office and approved locally. Deposit or bond is required.

Form 2525 permit is issued through the Central Office Utilities unit. They may require a bond of $2,000 minimum and up to $20,000 or more. These are reviewed by various offices and may take 6-8 weeks for approval. Completed work approval is done by district personnel.