Commercial Feed License
Agency contact information:
Agriculture (MDA), Minnesota Department of
625 N. Robert Street
St. Paul, MN 55155
(651) 201-6000 | (800) 967-2474 | (800) 627-3529 (TTY)
Dairy and Food Inspection Division
Commercial Feed Program
Contact Info: For licensing, tonnage inspection fees, pet food listings or other commercial feed questions: (651) 201-6027
License Information System (LIS) Lookup a License
The mission of the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) is to enhance Minnesotans' quality of life by ensuring the integrity of our food supply, the health of our environment, and the strength of our agricultural economy.
Commercial Feed License Application
-Contact DFID Licensing Line at (651) 201-6062, or email at MDA.DFID.Licensing@state.mn.us
Application forms are available on the MN Dept. of Agriculture website, Commercial Feed Program section.
Commercial Feed License
(1) A commercial feed license is required if a person manufactures, distributes, or guarantees commercial feed, including pet and specialty pet foods in or into Minnesota. The annual license fee is $75 per location.
(2) A late filing fee of $100 is added to the annual license application fee if:
-An INITIAL license application is not filed with the MN Dept. of Agriculture prior to manufacturing, guaranteeing or distributing a commercial feed, including pet and specialty pet foods, in or into Minnesota, or
-A RENEWAL application is not filed with the MN Dept. of Agriculture by December 31.
Inspection and listing fees and reports:
(1) REPORT TONNAGE: Applicants who distribute in or into Minnesota any commercial feeds, including pet food or specialty pet food, in must submit an annual Report of Commercial Feed Tonnage Distributed (AG-00123).
(2) PAY ANNUAL INSPECTION FEE: Applicants who distribute in or into Minnesota any commercial feeds, EXCLUDING pet foods and specialty pet foods distributed EXCLUSIVELY in packages of TEN POUNDS OR LESS, must pay an annual inspection fee of $75 or 16 cents per ton, whichever is greater.
(3) SUBMIT ANNUAL LISTING AND PAY LISTING FEE IN LIEU OF INSPECTION FEE: Applicants who distribute in or into Minnesota any pet food or specialty pet food product under their label, EXCLUSIVELY in small packages (containers of TEN POUNDS OR LESS), must submit an annual listing application, supply product labels, and pay a listing (registration) fee ($100 per small package pet food product or $25 per small package specialty pet food product) in lieu of the inspection fee.
Listing applications, product labels, and listing fees are required to be received prior to the time of initial distribution and before July 1 annually thereafter.
A late filing fee of $100 per small package product is added to the annual listing fee if the small package product was distributed before filing the INITIAL listing or if the RENEWAL listing is not received by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture before July 1.
Period of Issuance:
A) January 1-December 31 - License
B) Tonnage fees due by January 31 for previous year.
C) Listing are 7/1 - 6/30.
Other Pertinent Information:
See Minn. Stat. § 25.31-.43.
Licenses are not transferable.
The commissioner may request from a licensee copies of labels and labeling in order to determine compliance with the Minnesota Feed Law.