Asbestos Management Planner Certificate
Agency contact information:
Health (MDH), Minnesota Department of
625 Robert St. N.
P.O. Box 64975
St. Paul, MN 55164-0975
(651) 201-5000 | (888) 345-0823 (MN toll free)
Contact Info: Asbestos Program
The Minnesota Department of Health Health is the state's lead public health agency, responsible for protecting, maintaining and improving the health of all Minnesotans.
Minn. Stats. 326.73
Minnesota Rules 4620.3340
Individual Asbestos Certification Application
Application forms are available on the MN Dept. of Health website, Asbestos Forms section.
An individual applying for certification must show evidence of either:
1) Work experience of at least 1,000 hours in the field of building inspection, asbestos-related work, safety, industrial hygiene, or hazardous materials control;
2) Licensure by Minnesota as a building official;
3) A bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering, physical or life science, and work experience of 500 hours in the field of building inspection, asbestos-related work, safety, industrial hygiene, or hazardous materials control;
4) Registration as a registered architect, licensure as a professional engineer, or certification as a certified industrial hygienist or certified safety professional; or
5) A masters degree in environmental health, industrial hygiene or safety, and work experience of 250 hours in the field of building inspection, asbestos-related work, safety, industrial hygiene, or hazardous materials control.
An individual certifying as an Asbestos Management Planner must include with a completed Asbestos Certification Application:
1) Include a photocopy of your training course diploma(s). You must have completed a Minnesota approved initial or refresher training course within the past year.
2) Include a clear photograph of yourself. It must show your head and upper shoulders occupying an area of 1 inch by 1 inch. Do not cut the photo to size. Write your name on the back of the photo.
Review the Asbestos Management Planner Factsheet.
Include a cashier's check, business check or money order, made payable to the Minnesota Department of Health. Do not send cash. Personal checks are not accepted. This fee is not refundable.
Initial or renewal certificate - $100
Duplicate certificate - $25
Licensing surcharge to be assessed
The Minnesota Legislature passed legislation requiring a 10% surcharge of no less than $5 and no more than $150 on each business, commercial, professional or occupational license. The funding from this surcharge will go to MN.IT Services (formerly Office of Enterprise Technology (OET)), which is establishing an electronic licensing system for the state. The surcharge will be in place through June 30, 2015. See Minn. Stat. § 16E.22.
Period of Issuance:
An asbestos management planner certificate is valid for 12 months after the completion date on the diploma for the most recently completed training course. The asbestos management planner certificate is not transferable.
Length of Determination Process:
Allow 2-3 weeks for processing.
Other Pertinent Information:
The certification process is described in more detail on informational sheets available from the MDH, Asbestos Program.
Direct questions to the MDH, Asbestos Program (651) 201-4620.