License Minnesota

Utility Accomodation on Trunk Highway Right of Way

Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)

Agency contact information:

Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
395 John Ireland Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55155-1899
(800) 657-3774 | (800) 627-3529
Utility Agreements and Permits Unit
395 John Ireland Blvd., Mail Stop 678, St. Paul, MN 55155-1899 | (651) 366-4668


Utility Agreements & Permits

Social Media Links

The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) provides a balanced transportation system. Responsible areas include aeronautics, highways, motor carriers, ports, public transit, railroads and pipelines.


Minn. Stats. 161.45


MINNESOTA RULES 8810.3100 - 8810.3600


Application for Utility Accommodation On Trunk Highway Right-of-Way Form 2525 (Form 2525 is used for all crossings & longitudinal installations)

The application is available on the MN Dept. of Transportation (MnDOT) website, Utility Agreements & Permits section at Permit information and forms.

District Contacts:

Metro District
Waters Edge Building
1500 W. County Road B2
Roseville, MN 55113-3174
(651) 234-7916 

Outstate, contact the Department of Transportation office in Duluth, Virginia, Bemidji, Crookston, Baxter, St Cloud, Detroit Lakes, Morris, Rochester, Owatonna, Mankato, Windom, Willmar, Marshall. See the Contacts.


A surety bond is usually required and retained for one or two years after installation. Wording for bonding (individual or continuing) is available on the MnDOT website at Utility Surety Bond Form -Individual or Utility Surety Bond Form -Continuing.

MnDOT accommodation of utilities on highway right of way shall be followed. Refer to the Utility Agreements and permits policy and guidance.


No fee.

Period of Issuance:


Length of Determination Process:

Four to six weeks.

Other Pertinent Information:

Form is also used by private companies and individuals to cross the highways.

Basic clearances for aerial lines are in chart form at MnDOT Basic Clearance for the Installation of Electric Supply and Communication Lines.

The Temporary Traffic Control Zone Layouts Field Manual 2011, which includes the flagging handbook, is to be followed for traffic control zone layouts.

Outdoor Advertising information and permits are also available on the MnDOT website, Utility Agreements and Utility Permits section at Billboard Permits.