People with Disabilities


PCA services

  • Who may receive PCA services?

    To receive PCA services, you must:

    1. Enroll with Medical Assistance (MA), MinnesotaCare expanded benefits, Alternative Care Program or a waiver program.
    2. Request a PCA assessment from your local county agency or tribe (PDF) or your health plan member services to see if you eligible to receive PCA services.
    3. Make decisions about your care or have someone to make decisions for you.
    4. Provide for your own health and safety or have a responsible party that is able to do so.
    5. Live in a home or apartment, not in an institution.
    6. Meet access criteria.
  • What can a PCA do for me?

    There are four categories of PCA services that PCAs may provide services and support to help you with:

    1. Activities of daily living.
    2. Health related procedures and tasks.
    3. Observation and redirection of behaviors.
    4. Instrumental activities of daily living.
  • What are my responsibilities?

    PCA services are designed to be flexible and driven by you. Keep the following in mind. You, your responsible party, or your other providers (examples include your clinic doctor, hospital staff, or social worker) must request an initial assessment for PCA services. PCA providers cannot do this for you.

    • Do not ask your PCA to complete tasks not allowed by state law.
    • Do not ask your PCA to help or take care of others in your home.
    • Keep track of the hours of PCA services you have used.
    • Provide honest and accurate answers to assessor’s questions.
    • Review and sign accurate time sheets.

    If you are using the PCA Choice option, you have additional responsibilities.

Report/Rate this pageReport/Rate this page