Disability Determination Services
Disability Determination Services (DDS) evaluates claims for disability benefits using Social Security Administration (SSA) guidelines. The Social Security program provides benefits to persons with disabilities who are unable to work. Visit ssa.gov/disability for additional information regarding Social Security's disability programs.
To improve the quality of life for Minnesotans with disabilities who apply for or receive SSA disability benefits, by making timely, consistent and accurate disability determinations.
Accomplishing the Mission:
SSA employs the services of the Minnesota DDS to make medical eligibility decisions for disability and blindness applicants on behalf of the commissioner of SSA. Disability examiners review submitted disability applications and request medical records from the claimant's medical sources. Examiners also correspond by phone or letter with claimants, family members, legal representatives, and others to obtain additional information necessary for the claim. Examiners are responsible for reviewing and analyzing the medical evidence, writing comprehensive assessments based on medical and vocation factors, and applying SSA regulations and policy in order to reach an eligibility determination.
- Maintain a commitment to public service
- Perform meaningful, rewarding work with a direct impact on Minnesotans' quality of life
- Work collaboratively with medical professionals, supervisors and peers
- Expand their knowledge of complex medical conditions
- Manage an active caseload and maintain compliance with state and federal statutes
Visit MinnesotaWorks.net. Enter your resume and search for Disability Examiner. If there is not a current posting, follow the directions on MinnesotaWorks.net to sign up for email notifications of future job postings. DDS hires several classes of Disability Examiners annually. The website is updated as positions are available.
Find Us at a Job/Career Fair
DDS attends career fairs. Come see us at:
- University of Minnesota – Twin Cities Government and Nonprofit Career Fair on October 28, 2016 from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM in the Great Hall of the Coffman Memorial Union Building.
- College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University Career EXPO 2016 on November 2, 2016 from 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM in the Upper Level of the Gorecki Dining Center.