In 2010, there were more than 2.1 million people employed across all nonfarm industries statewide. In broad categories, here are the state's top 10 private employment industries.
1. Education and Health 439,285 employees
2. Professional and Business Services 314,838 employees
3. Manufacturing 292,043 employees
4. Retail Trade 277,646 employees
5. Leisure and Hospitality employees 235,572
6. Financial Activities 169,618 employees
7. Wholesale Trade 123,553 employees
8. Construction 87,736 employees
9. Transportation, Warehouse and Utilities 84,602 employees
10. Information 54,163
Get More Data
Our Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages tool tracks wages and employment by industry at the state, regional, county and municipal levels.
Our Current Employment Statistics tool provides a monthly survey of 5,900 nonfarm employers, provides monthly data on employment by industry, as well as hours worked and wages earned in various industries.