Skip to content

Resources and Complaints

If you have questions or concerns regarding your phone service or other communications services, here’s where to go for help: 

Minnesota Department of Commerce
(651) 539-1883 

The Minnesota Department of Commerce retains records of licensed telephone companies, and can help you locate phone companies serving your area. If you want to file a formal complaint with the Public Utilities Commission, we can explain the process. We also post helpful information on our website, such as how to understand your phone bill, and how to avoid getting slammed, crammed, or otherwise scammed by telephone companies.

Other ways we can help:

  • Copies of official commission documents such as orders, carrier lists and tariffs
  • Access to service area maps
  • Low income assistance information, applications or complaints
  • Difficulty completing a phone call
  • Application to provide local or long distance phone service in Minnesota

Minnesota  Department of Employment and Economic Development, Office of Broadband Development
(651) 259-7610

Questions about broadband/Internet service in Minnesota can be directed to the Office of Broadband Development at DEED. General information and resources related to broadband are also available on the Office of Broadband website.

Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, Consumer Affairs Office
(651) 296-0406
(800) 657-3782  

Consumer complaints about local and in-state long distance telephone service are addressed by the Consumer Affairs Office of the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission. This office also assists utility customers by mediating disputes with companies regarding issues such as service, billing, and installation.

  • Billing disputes/errors
  • Deposits
  • Extended Area Service
  • Rates 
  • Service areas
  • Service Problems (installation and repair)
  • Pre-paid phone cards 

Minnesota Office of the Attorney General
(651) 296-3353
(800) 657-3787   

  • Advertising complaints/deceptive marketing
  • Cell phone complaints (e.g., contracts, service, billing)
  • Internet issues
  • Pay-per-minute calls (e.g., entertainment lines, 900 numbers)
  • Recording telephone calls
  • State-to-state or international long distance rates
  • Telemarketing issues
  • Unauthorized charges on phone bills, including slamming
  • Unsolicited faxes 

Federal Communications Commission
(888) CALL-FCC (225-5322)  

  • 800 and Toll Free numbers
  • Surcharges and fees (e.g., universal service)
  • Radio or television interference 

Better Business Bureau

Cable TV
Call your local City Hall

Department of Revenue

  • Taxes on utility bills 

Federal Trade Commission 

National Do Not Call Registry 

Gopher One (Department of Public Safety) 

"Call Before You Dig" 

  • 651-454-0002 or 1-800-252-1166 

Pay Phones (call pay phone owner at number listed on phone)

  • Refunds
  • Repair