Skip to content

Real Estate Complaints

Although the Department of Commerce licenses and regulates real estate agents, our authority is limited to initiating administrative disciplinary action against an agent's license if he or she has engaged in a violation of law.

The department has no authority:

  • To compel an agent or company to pay damages, or

  • To impose the settlement of contractual or other civil disputes.

These remedies are the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts or the arbitration process.

If you have a complaint:
Complaints must be submitted in writing before an investigation can begin. Use the Complaint Form available here Be sure to provide the details of the dispute and include as many facts as possible, as well as what you would like the agent/company to do to resolve your complaint.

  • Include a daytime phone number and your mailing address.

  • Attach copies of any relevant documents to support your complaint, such as contracts or purchase agreements, closing statements, recent correspondence etc.

Keep in mind that we will be sending the agent /company a copy of your complaint, so do not include statements or other information that you do not want the agent /company to see.

Mail written complaints to:
Minnesota Department of Commerce 
Consumer Protection & Education Division
85 7th Place East, Suite 600
St. Paul, MN 55101

You may also file a complaint by:

E-mailing the Division at Call the Consumer Protection & Education Division of the Department of Commerce at 651-539-1600 or 1-800-657-3602. Calls are accepted from 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM.

In the e-mail, or telephone call, please include all the information requested in the Complaint Form available here and your inquiry will be directed to an investigator who handles cases in that industry. The investigator will usually be able to tell you if your complaint is something they are able to investigate. The investigators cannot provide legal advice. Complaints must be submitted in writing before an investigation can begin.