Skip to content

Find Unclaimed Property

Did you know that 1 out of every 20 Minnesotans has more than $100 in unclaimed property waiting for them? Unclaimed paychecks, life insurance policies, stocks, and more are turned over to the State of Minnesota for safekeeping until it is claimed by the rightful owner.

At the click of a mouse, you can search for your name or the names of your family and friends to see if the State of Minnesota is currently holding your unclaimed property. Just visit or use the search function below.

Minnesota lists its owner names on the website and that is where you should begin your search and claim processes for unclaimed property.

Consumers need to know that the Commerce Department Unclaimed Property Program does not contact individuals to request personal information or payment to claim missing property.  If you did not initiate a conversation, you should never provide personal information, including Social Security Numbers or account numbers over the telephone or internet.

Click here to go to website Start your FREE national search for missing money

How to File a Claim

If you see your name, or that of a deceased relative, in the newspaper advertisement or on this web site, you can download a claim form. Or you can search for a name in the Unclaimed Property Owner's Database.

Please read the instruction sheet, which is included with the claim form for the documentation you are required to submit to prove ownership of the property. Be prepared to submit:

• a copy of current, legal picture identification 
• a copy of your social security card or a document with your social security number recorded on it 
• evidence of residence 
• evidence of doing business with the former holder of the property

Additional information and documentation may be required depending on the type of property and the relationship of the claimant to the owner. Please examine the claim form and instruction sheet to locate the type of owner you are and submit the documentation listed with the completed and notarized form. The cash amount of the property, or the number of shares the Unclaimed Property Unit is holding, can be obtained by email at, or by calling 651-539-1545.

After the claim form is sent in and approved, you will receive a check for the amount of your property within 60 days. Owners with claims for stock will receive shares or the cash value of the securities if the State of Minnesota held the shares for more than a year. If you feel that abandoned property of yours, or that of a deceased relative, may be held outside of Minnesota, you can link to the other state's unclaimed property web sites at

Missing Money Locator

Click here to go to website Start your FREE national search for missing money


Find answers to your questions regarding the claims process, dormancy periods, finders and property locators, and much more.



Pension Guarantee Benefit Fund | Unclaimed retirement accounts from discontinued plans
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) | Unclaimed accounts from failed banks
National Credoit Union Administration | Unclaimed accounts from liquidated credit unions

Contact Us

Have questions, comments or concerns? Contact Minnesota Department of Commerce, Unclaimed Property Unit.

1-800-925-5668 (MN only)
651-539-0101 FAX  (for claims questions) (for holder questions)


Online Reporting

On September 1st, the Minnesota Department of Commerce, in partnership with Xerox (ACS), released an online holder reporting function to aid holders of unclaimed property in reporting their property to the Department. This piece will allow holders to track filings over time and allows for more efficient loading of reports by Unclaimed Property staff. Electronic filing is now available via UPExchange as well.