Skip to content

How to File a Claim

If you see your name, or that of a deceased relative, in the newspaper advertisement or on this web site, you can download a claim form. Or you can search for a name in the Unclaimed Property Owner's Database.

Please read the instruction sheet, which is included with the claim form for the documentation you are required to submit to prove ownership of the property. Be prepared to submit:

  • a copy of current, legal picture identification
  • a copy of your social security card or a document with your social security number recorded on it
  • evidence of residence
  • evidence of doing business with the former holder of the property.

Additional information and documentation may be required depending on the type of property and the relationship of the claimant to the owner. Please examine the claim form and instruction sheet to locate the type of owner you are and submit the documentation listed with the completed and notarized form. The cash amount of the property, or the number of shares the Unclaimed Property Office is holding, can be obtained by email at, or by calling 651-296-2568.

After the claim form is sent in and approved, you will receive a check for the amount of your property within 90 days. Owners with claims for stock will receive shares or the cash value of the securities if the State of Minnesota held the shares for more than a year. If you feel that abandoned property of yours, or that of a deceased relative, may be held outside of Minnesota, you can link to the other state's unclaimed property web sites at  

Holders Report Information

If you represent a bank, insurance company, or corporation that may be holding unclaimed property, you need to file an annual Holders Report. You can download a pdf file of the Holder Report Guide, complete with all the necessary forms and instructions. If you have more than five items, you should download the software for filing an electronic report. View the Holder Report Guide. Note: the fillable verification form in the report is not working. Please use this fillable form instead. 

Download Holders Report Software: 
ACS Wager and UP Exchange offer free software for creating an electronic Holder's Report.