Skip to content

Insurance Complaints

When You Have a Dispute with an Insurer or Agent

If you are in a dispute with an insurance company or insurance agent in Minnesota and have been unable to resolve it to your satisfaction, the Minnesota Department of Commerce may be able to help.

If you cannot reach an agreeable settlement ,you may wish to complete a complaint form to request help from our Consumer Protection and Education Division. We have two different complaint forms: one for Property & Casualty insurance complaints and another for Life & Health insurance complaints.

Contact the Company or Agent Directly

If you disagree with your insurance company about a claim or have a question relating to a coverage issue, contact the company first.

  • Speak with a management representative to try to find a solution.

  • Explain the problem in a calm, courteous manner.

  • Be accurate.

  • Provide dates, amounts, and as many related facts as you can.

  • If you still do not agree with the company position, ask the company to provide a written response. Ask them to list the specific rules or language in the policy that allow them to deny or exclude coverage.

If you feel that your insurance agent misrepresented what your policy covers, made false statements to persuade your decision about coverage, or used other fraudulent methods, try to resolve the dispute by speaking directly with the agent.

If you still do not agree with the agent's position, ask for a written response. Ask the agent to include copies of documents you signed when you applied for insurance, or other reasons or facts, that might support the agent's actions.

How the Minnesota Department of Commerce can help

If you are still dissatisfied after contacting the company or the agent, you may wish to contact our Consumer Protection and Education Division to ask questions or to file a complaint.

The Minnesota Department of Commerce Consumer Response Team (CRT) is comprised of investigators who respond to consumer phone calls specifically about insurance. The CRT attempts to resolve disputes between consumers and the insurance industry informally. In the Twin Cities metro area call (651) 539-1600 or statewide toll free at 800-657-3602.

When you file a written complaint, we will act as a link between you and the company or agent. We try to resolve the complaint and see that your questions are answered. Your complaint is based on the information and documents you submit. Be sure to include all pertinent information. Include:

  • Name of the insurer and/or agent involved in the dispute

  • Policy and claim numbers

  • Details of any previous contact regarding the matter

  • Copies of documents that help verify or explain the problem

  • Your personal contact information (name, address, phone, email, etc.)

Always send copies. Please do not send original documents.

When we receive your complaint, we open a file and send you a notice that includes the file number we assigned to your case. Please provide this number when you contact our office about your complaint. We will contact the parties named in the complaint. We will ask them to review the matter and provide us with a written response. We will review the response to determine if it:

  • Complies with the policy language

  • Complies with the Minnesota insurance regulations and other rules or directives of the Commissioner

  • Addresses the issues in your complaint and is reasonable in light of approved and accepted business practice

When our review is complete, we will provide you with a written statement of our position.

You may disagree with the results of our review. If you have additional information that was not included with your original complaint, and feel it might alter the decision, you may submit the information to us for further review. Please be sure to include the file number assigned to your case.

We may not be able to provide the exact results you want. We can only resolve disputes based on the information provided and our authority under Minnesota law.

Our authority is limited to companies and agents we license. We cannot help resolve disputes with self-funded employee health benefit programs and union health and welfare plans. You may wish to contact the U.S. Department of Labor with questions about these types of entities. Their address and phone number and some other useful contacts are listed at the end of this page.

We have limited authority over third party liability claims. We are unable to force insurers to pay claims. We also cannot help resolve disputes with entities or policies from other states. We cannot decide questions of fact, but we may be able to refer you to the appropriate authority to seek further help.

Our Consumer Protection and Education Division tries to resolve as many disputes as possible. We might need to contact you and the insurer or agent multiple times, depending on the case. While we strive to give prompt, quality service, a resolution may not occur immediately.

Thank you for your patience during the complaint process.

Other Sources for Answers to Insurance-Related Questions

Self-funded or self-insured health care plans pay benefits from a fund established by an employer or organization. Self-funded plans are not insurance plans and therefore do not come under the authority of the Department of Commerce. While many self-insured plans do include mandated Minnesota benefits, they are not required to do so as all self-insured plans are the jurisdiction of the U. S. Department of Labor. For further assistance, contact their office directly at:

Employee Benefits Society Administration
1100 Main Street, Suite 1200
Kansas City, MO 64105
(816) 426-5131 Tel.
(816) 426-5511 Fax
(866) 444-3272 (toll free)
Department of Labor web Site

As HMOs fall under the authority and jurisdiction of the Minnesota Department of Health, all HMO complaints should be directed to:

Minnesota Department of Health
Attn: Managed Care Section
400 Metro Square Building
121 East Seventh Place
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 201-5100
(800) 657-3916
Department of Health web site

Workers' Compensation Claims:

Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
443 Lafayette Road N.
St. Paul, MN 55155-4307
Phone: 1-800-DIAL-DLI
Phone: (651) 284-5005
TTY: (651) 297-4198

Motor Vehicle Service Contracts
The Minnesota Attorney General's Office encourages Minnesota automobile owners to fully understand motor vehicle service contracts, sometimes referred to as "extended warranties," before purchasing one. Although these contracts are intended to cover unexpected and costly vehicle repairs after the original warranty has expired, they may contain fine print that limits the coverage available. If you have a question or complaint regarding a service contract, you may contact the Minnesota Attorney General's Office by mail or phone as follows:

Office of Minnesota Attorney General
1400 NCL Tower
445 Minnesota Street
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 296-3353
TTY: (651) 297-7206
TTY: 1-800-366-4812
Attorney General's web site