Skip to content

Licensed Industries

If you have a complaint:
Complaints must be submitted in writing before an investigation can begin. Use the Complaint Form available here. Be sure to:

  • Write the details of the dispute and include as many facts as possible such as dates, what was said by each party, etc.

  • Include a daytime phone number and your mailing address.

  • Attach copies of any documents to support your complaint, such as printed advertisements, applications or cancelled checks.

Mail written complaints to:
Minnesota Department of Commerce
85 7th Place East, Suite 500
St. Paul, MN 55101

You may also file a complaint by:

  • E-mailing the department at  

  • Call the Consumer Protection Division of the Department of Commerce at 651-539-1600 or 1-800-657-3602.

In the e-mail, or telephone call, state which type of licensed service you wish to file a complaint about, and your inquiry will be directed to an investigator who handles cases in that industry. The investigator will usually be able to tell you if your complaint is something they are able to investigate. The investigators cannot provide legal advice. Complaints must be submitted in writing before an investigation can begin.

Enforcement Authority
Depending on the results of the investigation, the commissioner of the Department of Commerce can take the following actions:

  • Deny a license to an applicant;

  • Issue Cease and Desist Orders, banning business activities for unlicensed individuals or businesses;

  • Censure a licensee;

  • Suspend a license;

  • Revoke a license;

  • Issue a Statement of Charges;

  • Impose fines or penalties;

  • Refer cases for criminal prosecution.

The Department cannot:

  • Act as your lawyer or give you legal advice;

  • Recommend a particular licensee i.e. bank, insurance or real estate company/agent , etc.;

  • Resolve a dispute when the only evidence is your word against the word of the licensed/registered entity;

  • Make medical judgments;

  • Make determinations related to the facts of a case - For example, we cannot determine the value of damaged or stolen property or conclude who was at fault for an accident.