Skip to content

Money Transfers

The Minnesota Department of Commerce licenses and regulates individuals and businesses that cash checks, transmit money, own and operate ATMs, and provide electronic funds transfers.


  • ATMs

    ATMs not associated with a state or federal institution must be registered

  • Check Cashers

    Individuals and businesses that cash checks must be licensed by the state

  • Electronic Funds Transfer

    Credit and debit cards, electronic benefits and other point-of-sale transactions

  • Money Transmitters

    Persons engaged in the business of money transmission must be licensed by the state