Skip to content

File a Complaint

If you have a dispute with a bank, credit union, collection agency, other financial service provider, the Minnesota Department of Commerce may be able to help.

  • State Bank or Financial Service Complaint Procedure

    The Minnesota Department of Commerce is the regulator for state chartered banks, state chartered credit unions, and other state regulated financial services.

    Most complaints can be resolved if the consumer contacts the financial institution or company directly.  If you have not already done so, please contact the institution or company and attempt to resolve the problem.  If direct contact is not successful, please fill out this complaint form, along with copies of the institution's response and any other appropriate documentation to the address on the form.

    Please note:

    • National banks are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC).  These institutions will often have the word "national" as part of their name or have the letters "NA" or "na" following their name. 

      Wells Fargo, US Bank, TCF and Associated Bank are all national banks.  If you have a problem with one of these institutions, please contact the OCC at 1-800-613-6743 or

    • Banks chartered as state banks, in states other than Minnesota, often have branches in Minnesota. 

      i.e., M&I Bank is a Wisconsin State institution.  If you have problems with M&I, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions at 608-261-7578 or at 

    • National Credit Unions are regulated by the National Credit Union Association (NCUA).  These institutions will often have the word "federal" or "national" as part of their name.  You can contact the NCUA at 1-800-755-1030 or at

  • Other Licensed Industries

    If you have a complaint:
    Complaints must be submitted in writing before an investigation can begin. Use our General Complaint Form (.pdf). Be sure to:

    • Write the details of the dispute and include as many facts as possible such as dates, what was said by each party, etc 

    • Include a daytime phone number and your mailing address 

    • Attach copies of any documents to support your complaint, such as printed advertisements, applications or cancelled checks

    Mail written complaints to:

    Minnesota Department of Commerce
    85 7th Place East, Suite 500
    St. Paul, MN 55101

    You may also file a complaint by:

    • E-mailing the department at 

    • Call the Enforcement Division of the Department of Commerce at 651-539-1600 or 1-800-657-3602

    In the e-mail, or telephone call, state which type of licensed service you wish to file a complaint about, and your inquiry will be directed to an investigator who handles cases in that industry. The investigator will usually be able to tell you if your complaint is something they are able to investigate. The investigators cannot provide legal advice. Complaints must be submitted in writing before an investigation can begin.

    Enforcement Authority
    Depending on the results of the investigation, the commissioner of the Department of Commerce can take the following actions:

    • Deny a license to an applicant 

    • Issue Cease and Desist Orders, banning business activities for unlicensed individuals or businesses

    • Censure a licensee

    • Suspend a license

    • Revoke a license

    • Issue a Statement of Charges

    • Impose fines or penalties

    • Refer cases for criminal prosecution

    The Department of Commerce cannot:

    • Act as your lawyer or give you legal advice

    • Recommend a particular licensee, i.e. bank, insurance or real estate company/agent, etc.

    • Resolve a dispute when the only evidence is your word against the word of the licensed/registered entity

    • Make medical judgments

    • Make determinations related to the facts of a case. For example, we cannot determine the value of damaged or stolen property or conclude who was at fault for an accident.