skip to content

Special Permissions

Minnesota school districts that are unable to hire a fully licensed teacher in a particular teaching assignment may be eligible for a special permission. Several special permissions require action by the Board of Teaching: 
  • NonLicensed Community Experts
  • Innovative Program Waivers
  • Discretionary Variance Requests

NOTE: Personnel Variance Requests are processed regularly by the staff in Educator Licensing at the MN Department of Education. They are not subject to Board consideration.

In order for the Board of Teaching to take action on one of these requests, the application must be submitted 10 days prior to the Board meeting. This allows for internal processing and one week for Board members to review the materials in advance of their meeting. Submission deadlines for upcoming Board meetings are listed below.

Permission Web Chart Aug 2015 

To apply for a special permissions, go directly to our electronic Special Permissions System .

SPS is hosted by the MN Department of Education and will require a user ID and password for entry. To obtain access to this system, please see the Request for User Access form below.
Questions regarding the SPS system, Waiver, Nonlicensed Community Expert, Variance Appeal, and Limited Appeal should be directed to
Questions regarding General Education Variances should be directed to
Questions regarding Special Education Variances should be directed to
For additional information and questions regarding Personnel Variances, Limited Licenses, and Nonrenewable Licenses, please contact the staff in the Educator Licensing division at the Minnesota Department of Education.
Related Documents:
back to top